Jealousy

Dialogue

You swiped aside a lock of (h/c) hair that had gotten in your face. The sun was being less than merciful as the day went on, and you felt like you were walking around in an oven. You and the rest of the group were heading back to the safe house that "Jimmy Gibbs" was parked by, as Ellis called the car. You were lucky to find some ammo and a pistol or two on your way out. 

"Gosh, I sure hope we see them again. That Zoey girl was awful pretty." 

You glanced at Ellis from the corner of your eye, a sudden pang of jealousy slamming into your heart like a Charger. Ellis smiled his usual grin as he looked at you, his green eyes sparkling in amusement as they always did. 

"She was awful pretty, wasn't she (n/n)?" 

You slightly clenched a fist, the jealousy that was tugging at your heart pulling rather hard. 

"She wasn't that pretty..." 

Your voice was a mumble. You had to keep it low to keep from sounding angry or harsh. Ellis, however, took no notice as he just shrugged. 

"I shoulda married that girl. Then we coulda gone cross-country. Just her, me, and Jimmy Gibbs Jr." 

You unconsciously growled a bit to yourself, trying to ignore your closest friend. Why was she so special? He barely knew her. 

"Yep. No first dates or nothin'. I'd have to borrow Nick's suit, 'cause we'd skip straight to marriage." 

You wanted to tell him, "If you love Zoey so much, why don't you marry her?" but you were afraid he would get some ideas. However, you were thinking with your heart instead of your head when you stopped and turned to look at him. 

"If you love her so much, why don't you go back and get her? I hear the infected are real good across that bridge." 

With that, you simply turned on your heel and started off in the other direction. Your harsh tone had taken Ellis off guard, and the other three had to look back and see what was happening. 

"(Y/n)? Where the hell are you going?" 

You ignored Rochelle's shouts as you kept walking, kicking at pebbles that lie on the road as you went. 

"Out!" 

That was your only response as you disappeared from their line of sight.

*~Time-skip!~*

It took you a bit of wandering around to blow off some steam. You hated that Ellis talked about Zoey. Were you not good enough? Why couldn't he just take a hint? Because he was so naïve and clueless and that made him even more adorable in your eyes. You gave a frustrated groan as you fell back against the wall of a building, sliding down it. You rested your shotgun in your lap as you stared blankly at the road. Why were you even here? It's not like they needed you. Hell, they probably left your sorry ass the moment you were out of sight. You closed your eyes as a soft breeze swept by, rustling your hair and feeling damn good in that heat. You were surprised no Infected were around. You opened your eyes again to see a figure in the distance. Your hand shot for your gun, but you hesitated when you saw it wasn't stumbling or shuffling. That was definitely a live person. Maybe they had sent Nick to go get you? You doubted it as your hand fell back to the ground. As the figure got closer, you made out a hat. And you froze. Dammit. Why did they have to send Ellis? You watched him approach you, his grin gone for once in a long while. You watched curiously as he simply sat next to you, not a word coming from his mouth. You stared at him, concern edging past your jealousy and frustration as he stared at the ground.