Four

"I wasn't actually in love, but I felt a sort of tender curiosity."

Erik never truly forgot one of the shortest lines that held the greatest meaning for him. Damn that Gatsby. The way Charles had read it to him felt more like a dream in his subconsciousness now...

He was currently at "work", using his small band of bloodthirsty mutants to do his bidding. So far the plan had been going perfectly, stealing information from some government lackeys. They were pittifully defenseless, being only armed with primitive guns and the mutants quickly stole the information they needed.

While running a muck for the people that they all despised most, the German couldn't help but let his mind wander. Sure, the use of his metal-bending abilities took great concentration, but it was so second nature for him by now that not much was required anymore. While Raven and the others abandoned the scene, Erik lingered. His eyes had caught sight of some information that he didn't expect to see in the files here...

Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters: Under Termination

Erik glanced around before deciding that it wouldn't hurt to take a peek since he didn't really understand what could have happened to ruin Charles. Was it out of pure curiosity? Well, of course it was! Why else would he be looking? Because he was concerned for the welfare of the school? That reason was almost laughable.

Fingers hastily rifled through the thin file and paper shifted quietly under the loud alarms that had been set off during the attack. Many armed men rushed past the door and didn't seem to notice that Magneto was standing there, huddled over a stack of classified information.

Erik's eyes flicked over all of the words being written and his brow continued to gradually crease with disbelief and indignation. Of course he and Charles were probably not even on speaking terms at this point, but what the hell! This was unjust, even in Lehnsherr's eyes.

No, Charles would surely fight for this, wouldn't he? He would get up and scream peacefully as he always did, the prophet. Why wasn't he doing a thing to stop the inevitability of this happening? It was starting to anger Erik since he knew that Xavier was a brilliant and driven man, so what had changed? Was he also missing that- that closure that Raven was talking about?

Erik held his breath as he closed the file and stared off into nothing for a moment, his mind coaxing out yet another distant and yet crystal clear memory. The sirens and shouts of men died away, along with the feeling of being rushed to get out. Everything seemed to die.

All except Erik.

"Tell me then, why is it that you always run when you could have taken a stroll and smelled all of the beautiful flowers? This garden here hasn't been constantly looked after just to sit here unnoticed."

A soft chuckle masks a beating heart.

"Well then, what would be the point of creating a pathway through here if you aren't supposed to take advantage of it, hm? It makes no sense and although I appreciate your judgement, I think I prefer to run over walk.

A hand reaches up and yanks down on the drawstring of a hoodie teasingly.

"You MUST be vexing me, surely. You and your small mind, Erik. You and your small world. You cannot see what lies ahead of you if you are running too fast to see it before it's too late. What would you do if I wasn't here to show you how to walk and take it slowly?"

A sigh.

"You mustn't test me, I know what I prefer to do and you always said that you wouldn't get in my way. (And for heaven's sake, don't pull on my string). You're a wondrous man, but it seems that even you think yourself god with that gift of yours."

Arms cross and an eyebrow raises.

"Play god, you say? Well, as far as I know, I'm only guilty of looking before I leap. (Oh, you know I only tease.) Perhaps you need to rethink your words before you spit them out."

"You're right and I apologize. From now on, I shall never speak to you again."

Shared laughter.

"You couldn't keep away from me even if you so wanted to. Don't lie to me, Erik because I don't need to read your mind to know that you are."

"Well, I suppose you're right about one thing, and that's my ability to resist you. I do need you here with me, always- if you don't mind."

"I would never truly mind that. I enjoy a great game occasionally."

Erik opened his eyes and pocketed the file, his grip unnecessarily tight. As he made his way out of the building, his mind having vacated minutes ago, he noticed Raven had been loyally waiting to see that everyone had escaped, but her voice was elsewhere in the German's head.

He needed to get this to Charles. He needed to prove that he could walk. He needed to see those eyes. He needed that closure. Why did he need it? After all this time, what had made him realize that this is what he wanted?

It was because he realized that he still hadn't told him that he had lied and to get the apology that he deserved. That the professor lied, of course, not Erik. He wanted to have the satisfaction and that closure. What other reason could there be?

The bitterness that was slowly eating away at Erik after all this time made him constantly wish that he could have been better. That his heart really could have belonged to someone else... Perhaps Charles felt the same way about him, but he would never know now, would he? Lehnsherr considered all the things he could say if he ever was face to face with the professor again- which he would be, soon. Xavier deserved to at least know that his school and livelihood was in jeopardy...

Nothing else could possibly drive the German since he knew that Charles would never give him the chance to prove himself a good man ever again. He was stuck in what he believed to be the professor's judgement and scathing criticism.

But, perhaps trying to win that closure might just be able to motivate Charles enough to convince him to agree with Erik- at least on some points of his perspective, right...?