Ten

"It was the kind of voice that the ear follows up and down, as if each speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."

Erik knew that the moment he made contact with Charles everything wouldn't magically come back together again. Yes, he could see now physically how damaged the poor professor really was, but what could he do besides confess his feelings...? He was obviously having none of it so perhaps it was better to keep his secret on the backburner until he sorted this whole new fiasco out.

Besides, Charles wouldn't love him back.

As he was permitted to lend in a hand, Lehnsherr felt a shrill of purpose shiver up his spine and hope soared inside of him as he flew himself ahead of where Hank was taking Charles- he was guessing cerebro so that the students could be under maximum security- but it was a pity knowing it wouldn't do much against more elite mutants. But it was his fault and he didn't blame Charles for being so pissed off...

Oh, how was Erik going to fix this!

Well, perhaps by stopping his followers would give Charles the impression that the German wanted to change for the better, but Erik supposed he could only guess. It was his fault they were coming after all...

When the small group made it to the grand front doors of the mansion, Charles was still trying to sense the minds of those that were supposedly on the way to avenge their leader, but Lehnsherr knew that there would be no connections. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose with frustration at himself, making Charles turn and glance at him incredulously.

"What have you done now, Erik..."

The German shifted uncomfortably and looked away- anywhere but those torturously deep and bright blues...

"Perhaps I've given them all a little lesson in effectively evading psychics..." he began, but Xavier's disappointed groan was all he needed to hear to know that he'd crossed another toe over the line this time.

"Are you bloody kidding me, Erik!" Charles snapped as he let Hank wheel him down the dirt path and reluctantly threw German followed, wondering how much more the other could take before he was completely out of patience for this sudden act of self-righteousness. "Tell me what we're up against then, will you! Or are you going to just wait until the very last moment to tell me as we-"

As Charles was going off on him yet again, Erik was only half paying attention by now. The other half of his focus was trained at the trees surrounding the property, knowing full well how he had trained his own "students". He knew better than to completely ignore Xavier when he got like this, but his priorities were a little mixed at the moment...

"... Are you even listening anymore? ERIK!"

The German flinched and looked back to Charles, but then puffed out his chest and raised a finger to the Brit's lips, making him stutter until he became silent again. He seemed to hesitate, not exactly pulling away, but Hank had seen enough to know what was going on and he wasn't having it! He tugged the wheelchair back a little out of protectiveness for his best friend, but Lehnsherr decided it was fair enough. But that didn't mean he liked sharing his Charles with anyone...

"I'm going to fix this, I promise Charles. I know what I must do now, and I will face them alone. This is my doing, as always..." he began as he then reached for Xavier's hand, but again, Hank interjected. "I will prove to you the reason why I have returned and asked for your forgiveness- this is a most shameful thing that I have done and I will make it right..."

Two sets of eyes met, then. One pair was bright and alive, the other duller and more worn with the troughs of the world.

Charles seemed to be considering, but in the end, he eventually spoke up again.

"Please don't get yourself hurt out there, Erik... it would be very dishonest of you."

That made the German smile despite himself and he pushed Hank out of the way this time, taking the professor's hand before bringing it towards his lips. He let out a soft breath before he pressed that marbley skin against his lips and gave it a peck before lowering it gently again.

Charles said nothing.

Whistling echoes.

"Charles? What is that tune you're reminiscing about now? Surely it's not another nursery rhyme, is it?"

A soft chuckle.

"Why explain myself with words when I could express it more simply? You know me well enough to guess my thoughts, don't you, old friend...?"

Eyes roll.

"Last time I checked, I'm not the psych. What is it with you and demanding that I should be able to assume your thoughts?"

Whistling increases.

"I suppose I will always have to live within the mysteries of your thoughts then, hm?"

An abrupt pause.

Eyes meet.

"Well, I suppose someday you may not need guess, isn't that right?"

Erik could tell that his inner feelings were overflowing at this point and he also knew they had little time before his followers showed themselves, so he turned to leave. But before he could take off again, he felt a soft and tender hand take his quickly.

The German paused before slowly turning and gazing at those ocean blues, his mind racing. What was Charles thinking now...

"Please Erik... don't get yourself hurt or worse."

For the first time, Erik could feel it was sincere. Was the kiss not too much after all...?

"This time, I will promise you that I will try my hardest to obey," he replied gently, slowing withdrawing his hand so that he could go. "Be safe for me... Liebling."