Seven

"If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him."

A book closes softly.

"Charles, why did you stop? I was getting quite invested in the story again and you broke my concentration."

Silence.

"Charles...?"

A shift of weight and the soft groan of an ancient armchair.

"Tell me what you're thinking about. You always get that look as if you're staring into the vastness of the universe when I'm sure all you're thinking about is cucumber sandwiches."

A rueful smile emerges at last.

"You're truly despicable. Such a stereotype of the British is long past. Besides, I prefer tea to cucumber sandwiches anyways."

"Is that so? I always thought that you were too British for your own good, all with teatimes and feathery pens. Tell me, do you have a peacock that walks these grounds?"

A soft chuckle.

"Perhaps it's not the bird to be admired on these grounds... It's more of a metaphor, I suppose. But how could a man like you understand such sophistication?"

Blurred silence.

"How could a man like you overlook the beauty right in front of you... Allow me, please."

A book is exchanged.

"You see I think everything's terrible anyhow, she went on . . . Everybody thinks so—the most advanced people. And I know. I've been everywhere and seen everything and done everything . . . Sophisticated—God, I'm sophisticated!"

A chuckle once more.

"Surely you aren't using that quote to justify yourself..."

"Perhaps I am, Liebling. But you must remember that it is I that taught you manners."

***

Charles was hurriedly making his way through the mansion, both contempt and panic vibrating inside of him. Hank of course had noticed and was quickly in pursuit, panting since the professor was surprisingly fast on wheels.

"CHARLES!" he exclaimed as he managed to catch up when the Brit had paused to open a door. "W-What the hell's going on with you, huh? Where are you going?!"

"I'm going to get some answers and prevent a madman from stepping foot in this place ever again!" Xavier hissed as he threw the door open. The letter was folded neatly on his lap, making McCoy frown.

"This isn't about Erik, is it-"

Suddenly an abrasive glare made Hank shut his mouth the moment he mentioned the German and he sighed heavily, gesturing towards the obvious letter on the professor's lap.

"Look, Charles... I was polite enough not to snoop, but I really think I deserve to know what's going on if you're demanding that we put this place on lockdown. I mean, why would Erik come back just to hurt you- that is why you're running around, isn't it? Because he's coming back?"

Charles didn't answer immediately, his mind searching through the whole school and around the parameter just in case, but so far there wasn't any sign of him. He knew that causing a panic was the last thing that this place needed, but if Lehnsherr was really about to dare show his face here again, the Brit might as well be signing the deeds of his mansion off to the government now...

"Hank, there are things that I alone understand- or at least I think I do... Erik is one of those things in which I'm not quite capable of understanding, but the things that I do about him, I know that no one can ever trust that man... Please, do as I say before anyone else has to get hurt..."

With that, the professor opened the door and shut it more gently. He had entered the cavernous cerebro in desperate attempts to locate Erik and perhaps communicate- no, no he wouldn't. Perhaps make him aware that he was present in his mind and if he was thinking any sort of horrific thoughts about his plans on returning to this school, Charles would be ready to stop him.

At any cost and length, of course...

As he tentatively placed the heavy helmet atop of his head, he couldn't help but think of how much he missed a rather calm mind. Has he ever truly known peace...? Perhaps once, but that was far too long ago to be relevant now.

Xavier bit his lip as he turned on the machinery, closing his eyes as he tried his best to relax his mind and mentally prepare for the torment that awaited him. All of those pained and agonized people out there and he had to sit and watch them all suffer...

As he started to search, he grunted and gripped the ends of his armrests. His knuckles turned white and his jaw started to ache as it was clenched so tightly. The words from the letter started to fumble through his mind, becoming more and more clear and served as a beacon to what he knew would be the German's mind. The one mind he had sworn he would never read again... But Erik hadn't given him a choice and he must have known that as he carefully worded the letter.

He knew Charles better than the professor would have liked, now...

I promised I would come back for you one day, Charles.

An oath that I plan to stand by now, and forever.