Chapter Two

A Trip Down The Memory Lane to Ashley's first pageant. I recall it being a disaster.

I had woken up with mum shouting orders to everyone while Ashley was in her room with the hairdresser.

Ash was about six years years old, so she hated staying still. I remembered the hairdresser being at the verge of tears by the end.

Mum wanted everything to be perfect. 

Levi had been forced into a suit by dad, and mum had told me to put on any one of my dresses as long as I didn't stand out as much as Ashley.

I had just decided on a plain black dress. At ten years old I had been able to learn how to put eyeliner on. I remember sneaking into mum's room at night and practicing.

"Come on, hurry up!" Mum said through gritted teeth while pointing a finger to the door.

Dad walked out first, with Levi following behind. He looked like a younger version of dad.

"Here, Amy, chew on this piece of gum. You can eat when we get back," Mum instructs. "Now suck your breath in, stand up straight and chin up. Yes, this is how I want you to be standing, especially when Ashley wins."

I held my breath in and stood up high till Mum was facing towards the staircase, waiting for Ashley. 

A sudden gasp was heard from Mum as I move aside to look past her. Ashley's strawberry blonde hair had been tied up into a bunch, her face full of pink makeup.

She looked like Barbie's twin. As for her clothing, Ashley had been wearing a frock with pink and green flowers in it.

All this made her look even more spoiled than she was before. Mum had made us all dress up well.

Behind her followed the petrified hair dresser. "Mother!" Ashley yelled in shock. "This is Baby pink, and I am not a baby! I thought I ordered for hot pink!"

I sighed at her. Ashley was very précised when it came to her favorite color, even for hot pink it had to be the perfect shade. 

"I am very well aware of the shade you ordered, honey," Mum said in a sweet voice with a hint of frustration, and emphasizing the 'honey'. "But right now our main focus is on winning, so you'll have to deal with it."

Ashley rolled her eyes and crossed her hands, not saying a word. The hair dresser passed her, trying to keep as much distance possible from Ash. 

Mum opened out her purse and handed her the cash. The lady mumbled a quick 'thank you' before rushing out of the house. I turned back to look at Ashley, knowing that the hair dresser was never coming back even if we paid her a million dollars.

"Oh dear, look at the time!" Mum exclaimed, "Come on, out of the house, now!"

I quickly rushed out. Dad was standing by the passenger door, holding it open. Obviously he hadn't done that for me, today was Ashley's special pageant. 

"That's it, dear. Perfect model walk!" Mum said behind me. She was holding Ash's dress up so she could walk properly. I got into the car, next to Levi. He was on his phone, so I had to resist the urge to glancing. at it, knowing too well how mad he would be if he caught me looking.

Fortunately, his phone began vibrating, which my eyes immediately shot up to his phone. The called ID had taken me to great surprise.

"Why is Olivia calling you?" I asked Levi. He quickly cut the call and turned to face me.

"Stop looking at my phone you creature!" Levi had raised his hand, ready to hit me.

"Amy, for God sake! Stop fighting with your brother or I'll confiscate you phone. You always crease your clothes, and this time I won't let it happen," Mum said, entering to sit besides me.