Chapter 9 - Wicked Ways

I have no self control! I only just posted a chapter yesterday. You're getting this one earlier because I split it up with the next one, but now I must contain it! lol. I like to have at least a few chapters backlogged because I'm always re-editing and polishing them up! 

Enjoy the chapter! 

..........................

April 7th - Wicked's premiere! After all the hard work that's gone in behind the scenes, it's finally here! The team had been so busy adding the final touches this week to the set pieces that we'd not had the opportunity to see any of the rehearsals. We were too busy tying up loose ends and making sure everything was ready to go, but we did hear the cast belting out a few songs and during a lunch break Lizzy and I snuck backstage to ogle over the stunning costumes, making us both excited to see the production.

I can't believe that tonight I will see my name in a playbill under the list of production members.

Over the past few days, I hunted high and low for a dress that said 'premiere' without breaking the bank, and found a gorgeous black shoulder-less number with a thigh slit - the last one in my size too.

"Your parents must be so proud of you. Broadway Ava! That's a hell of a foot in the door at your age," Lizzy enthuses.

My parents. God. The thought of them coming tonight...And boy had I thought of it. Too much. The last thing I wanted was for them or Amelia to come into contact with Alan who will also be there tonight. Mum found out about the premiere after I'd taken a call at dinner one evening. She got onto her high horse saying, "Well I hope you were going to invite us. Heavens, I want to be there to celebrate my daughter's success." I didn't know whether to laugh or vomit - my mother, a woman who has never been interested in the arts to all of a sudden wanting to be a part of it. I knew very well what she wanted to be a part of - the glitz and glamour of the red carpet.

She chuckled that night, taking the olive from her glass and placing it to her pink painted mouth. "It just so happens I have the perfect outfit for such an occasion."

I looked toward dad who gazed wearily into the distance, and to Amelia, who eyed me knowingly after revealing her suspicions that dad was having an affair. There sure is a difference in him, but dad having an affair...I couldn't imagine it. My parents had been married for twenty five years. They always seemed to push aside their differences and just 'get on with it.' At least, dad did.

.......................

Lizzy's mouth hangs wide as I walk from her bedroom in my premiere dress, my curls freshly teased and bouncing around my shoulders.

"A-va...!"

"Is it ok?" I ask, smoothing it down. Lizzy sits down on the couch, still staring. "You look like a movie star."

I laugh. "You've been working around dramatics for too long. You can stand up now."

"Wow. You're gonna knock 'em dead. And you don't have a date?? You know, I think Lucas likes you a lot. You two would look great together. He's a good kid. I would have jumped for him at your age."

Lucas was indeed cute, but he was no Alan.

Lizzy wears her red curls up with gold earrings and a dark green dress that flows past her knees this evening. She looks beautiful. It's been fun getting ready at her apartment. It houses funky decor with art covering every inch of the walls, collectables, old theatre posters from productions she'd been a part of and a huge stack of records in the corner of her living room that grabbed my attention.