Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

2| Whiskey

Reece

I unlocked the apartment, pushing the door open with my hip while holding the cup of iced tea to my lips. I pushed the door open, putting my bag down on the floor. "Whiskey!" I scanned the room, my eyes stopping on the couch that had the pillows thrown everywhere. I walked over to the couch, looking over the back of it where Whiskey was sleeping. 

I poked his belly and he jumped up, sneezing and shaking his head before looking up at me. "Haha," I said blankly. "Good morning, little shit." I sighed, scratching his ears while he climbed on top of the couch; trying to climb me. I scratched him, looking at the mess he had made on the couch, all the couch cushions and throw pillows were scattered across the floor. I looked down at him. "Clean up with me now." 

He was so freaking tiny and still new there, I was surprised he understood most of the things I said to him. I'd gotten him about five months ago. I didn't even get him, actually. I got back from campus one day and found him tied up, sitting with our security guard. When I asked, he said that some random girl just left the puppy here. He was only two months old back then. That was what the vet said anyway. I took him in after that. I didn't think the landlord even knew I brought in a dog, and I couldn't remember if according to the lease, I was allowed to or not. But I had one anyway now. Plus, he was so tiny. 

I thought it would be hard to take care of him and train him but it really wasn't. He was one lazy motherfucker. He slept all the time, ate, ran around a little on the couch and across the apartment, and I took him for a walk thrice a day. 

Speaking of, it was time for his walk now. I threw all the cushions back on the couch and then grabbed his leash, hooking it onto his collar. I grabbed my keys, phone, and earphones and then left. I plugged in my earphones while walking to the elevator and hit play. I pressed the button to the lobby while Whiskey sat beside me, both of us heading out when we reached it. 

I walked around our block. There was a small park at the very end of our block. Apparently, that neighborhood had a lot of kids that liked to go to that park. This part of our block had apartment buildings since it was near campus. That end had houses, one and two stories, both. I opened the gate to the park and walked in, strolling around with him. 

After a while, I sat down on the swing set and unleashed him. It was a small park, it was fenced and gated; there was nowhere for him to run but in circles, and that's exactly what he did. 

The music slowed down to a stop and was replaced by my ringtone. I clicked my tongue and answered, talking with my earphones in. I stared at Landon's name that was flashing on my phone. 

He was such a pain in the ass; how did we become so-called friends? 

I answered the call. "Hello?" 

"Reece, where are you at?" 

"On my deathbed." I squinted a little under the sun, keeping an eye on Whiskey. 

"Help me out, will you?" 

"No." I sighed, pushing the swing and gaining some momentum.

"Come on. Help me out." 

"What?" 

"I had plans to go to dinner with Indie tonight. For her birthday." 

"So?" 

"I can't go." 

"So?" 

"I'm too busy to take her tonight." 

"So?" 

"So, if she calls to ask where I am, don't tell her." 

"I don't even know; what am I going to tell her?" I rolled my eyes, swinging higher.