S1 E6

The Day That Wasn't

"I must admit, Number Five, in all the time that I've been here, I've never met anyone quite like you. And Eight, we've been keeping an eye on you ever since we saw you appeared in the apocalypse as well. Brava by the way, amazing show you put on, killing yourself because you thought the person whom you love, died."

"Hello, Handler." A guy says

"Wait, love?"

They ignore me, "Hazel and Cha-Cha, for example, are talented, certainly, but... they can't see the big picture. Your spunk, your enterprising spirit, well, it reminds me a great deal of myself, if... I may be so vainglorious. If things work out for you here, you could potentially make a fine successor, Five."

She looks at me and stops walking, "Though I'd never do what you did, I admire your bravery and courage to stand up. Or down should I say" She jokes, "What you did, Eight, quite literally changed everything. Every outcome that could have happened poof, gone like a blink. And I admire that."

"I- wait what?"

"I'd like to discuss the logistics of my family's safety t your earliest convenience. As well as this body replacement." Five says

"Such chutzpah. It's refreshing, I'll admit. Slow down, Five. All in good time. In fact, now that you've finally agreed to work with us, we've got all the time in the world. The Commission works in support of a delicate balance between the time line of events and mankind's free will. The briefcase is no longer part of your kit, Five. Free your mind. You're management now. One of us."

"All the people on this floor are case managers, each one responsible for one major event at a time." We say walking through yet another hallway

"So many of them." I muttered

"Impressive, isn't it? Being part of something... so grand. Come along. Whenever someone chooses the wrong path and the time line is changed the Commission gets a report from field agents on the ground."

'not really but ok' Five elbows me 

"These field reports are sorted and assigned to a case manager. They determine if anyone needs to be... removed from the equation to assure that their event happens as it should.
Based on that determination, the case manager sends instructions via pneumatic tube to... temporal assassins like you formerly were, Number Five."

She finally breathes, "Any queries so far?"

"Yeah actuall-"

"Who was the case manager handling me?" Five interrupts

"Ah. You mean the apocalypse." We walk into a room with desks full of people, except for two. "Five and Eight, meet Dot."

"Oh, hi." She shakes our hands

"Dot is responsible for all apocalypse matters. In fact, it was Dot here who first flagged your appearance in 2019. She also found out about you, Eight"

"No hard feelings." She tells us

"Well, you certainly put us through the ringer Five. Outsmarting two of our so-called best temporal assassins. If that doesn't spell leadership material...I just don't know. I suspect... you like a challenge, Five. Which is why I've given you a particularly complex first case. It's too bad Joseph Späh decided against sabotaging the fuel tank. It would've been so much easier."

"Any who... if you have any questions... I'll be right behind you."

"Why are we doing this?" He asks

"Because it's important." She walks away

"Ok you two are over there" She points, "your name tags are gonna help you"