Chapter 12: Lagos

"All right, what do you see?" Steve's voice said over comms. We were on a mission in Lagos after getting a lead that Rumlow would be here. Wanda, My mom, and I were sitting outside of a small café while Steve was in a hotel and Sam was on the roof of a nearby building.

"Standard beat cops. Small station. Quiet street. It's a good target." Wanda answered, glancing back at the police standing across the street.

"There's an ATM on the south corner, which means?"

"Cameras." I said stirring some sugar into my drink.

"Both cross streets are one-way."

"So, compromised escape routes."

"Means our guy doesn't care about being seen. He isn't afraid to make a mess on the way out. You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, the red one? It's cute." Wanda said.

"It's also bulletproof, which means private security... which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody. Probably us." Mom said as she glanced back at us.

"You guys know we can move things with our minds, right?" I said, sending Wanda a smirk.

"Looking over your shoulder needs to become second nature."

"Anybody ever tell you you're a little paranoid?" Sam asked my mom.

"Not to my face. Why? Did you hear something?"

"Eyes on target, folks. This is the best lead we've had on Rumlow in six months. I don't want to lose him."

"If he sees us coming, that won't be a problem. He kind of hates us."

"Sam... see that garbage truck? Tag it." Steve said suddenly.

"Give me an X-ray." Sam said, "That truck's loaded for max weight. And the driver's armed."

"It's a battering ram." My mom said and I looked up at Wanda.

"Go now."

"What?" Wanda asked, looking slightly panicked

"He's not hitting the police." I said standing up and running along the street towards the IFID building. I flew up to the top of a building and launched myself off as Wanda came up beside me.

"Body armour, AR-15s. I make seven hostiles."

"I make five." Sam said. We landed in front of Sam and Wanda began strangling a soldier.

"Kai." She said sending him towards me. I snapped his next and threw him to the side

"Four. Rumlow's on the third floor."

"Wanda, just like we practiced." Steve said, walking towards her.

"What about the gas?" She asked.

"We'll get it out." I told her, already focusing on the gas in the building. We began pulling the gas out of the building as Sam took care of the remaining soldiers. We got the gas out of the building and began dissipating it.

"Rumlow has a biological weapon."

"I'm on it." My mom said,

"I don't work like that no more." I heard a few minutes later through her earpiece. There was a loud bang and lots of coughing.

"Mom?" I asked, pausing my actions.

"I'm fine, Kai."

"Sam. He's in an AFV heading north."