Chapter 14: Secrets Revealed

"Kai... Kai? Karli, you awake?" Sam asked from beside her. Karli slow sat up and opened her eyes, seeing she was in some sort of old warehouse. Sam handed her a bottle of water and stood up walking towards a different room.

"Hey, Cap!" Sam yelled a few minutes later. Steve walked past where Karli was sitting and she stood up, following him into a big open room. Karli stopped in her tracks as she realized who was in the room. Bucky had his arm trapped in some sort of machine and his head was moving slightly from side to side.

"Steve." Bucky said once he noticed the people in front of him.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve asked.

"Your mom's name was Sarah." Bucky said with furrowed eyebrows. He smirked before continuing, "You used to wear newspapers in your shoes."

"Can't read that in a museum."

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam interrupted, obviously still salty about being knocked out by Bucky.

"What did I do?" He asked

"Enough." Karli said, walking further into the room.

"Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words." Bucky said furrowing his eyebrows at her. She looked familiar.

"Who was he?" Karli asked.

"I don't know."

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup... the doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than "I don't know."" Steve said. Bucky flexed his arm as he thought for a minute.

"He wanted to know about Siberia." Bucky said, glancing at Karli. Karli's eyes widened as her jaw fell open slightly. "Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?"

"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier." Bucky said, clenching his jaw. Karli forgot about them. Bucky was supposed to train them just as he trained her and everyday Karli was forced to watch. Sometimes, if the new people made mistakes or lost against Bucky, she was forced to torture them with mental manipulation or physical torture. She remembered the new super soldiers' screams echoing through the facility as their bodies either rejected the serum or accepted it. She remembered late nights when Bucky would hold her tight as she curled closer to his side, terrified to meet these new people and hearing them scream all night and all day long. She and Bucky had been forced to share a cell while they were partners so many nights were spent like this.

Memory:

Young Karli sat in the small glass arena watching as Bucky sparred with one of the new super soldiers. The soldier grabbed Bucky's metal arm and twisted it making him fall to his knees. Bucky groaned before stumbling to his feet. The soldier kicked him in the stomach, sending Bucky flying backwards. He hit the wall and fell forward, just missing his small friend. Karli crawled forward from her sitting position and rested her hand on his back.

"Good work." The General said the guy who defeated Bucky.

"I'm okay." Bucky whispered to Karli who was checking him over for any breaks, bruises or sprains. Suddenly the soldier grabbed the doctor by the neck and slammed his head against the ground. Bucky jumped to his feet, grabbing Karli's hand and walked over to the General.