Chapter 7

The visits with Melroy happened at least once a week. He'd come over with food and we'd sit and talk about new information we both gathered.  He'd flirt with me in a very obnoxious way and I'd over exaggerate how much I hated it, only so he wouldn't think I liked him.  But I secretly enjoyed it when he just so casually brushed his fingers across my skin or sat extra close to me for no reason.

"What's with the pacing?" He asked just walking into my apartment without knocking on my door.

"Ugh." I groaned pacing faster stomping my feet across the carpet. "Everything is getting so complicated. Carrie is still gone and there's no knowing when she'll be back." Mumbling to myself while Melroy just stood there concerned.

"I can't understand you Alana. What do you need me to do? How can I help?" He swiftly sidestepped me to place the food on the counter. "What do you need Alana?" His voice stern making me stop for a moment to look at him. I wanted to tell him I need him. I need a wonderful distraction from my life but I can't. I shook my head and continued to pace.

"If you don't answer me I'll be forced to tackle you so you stop pacing. It's freaking me out." I just ignored his threat muttering about how I needed all of this to end.

"What are you doing?" I yelled while slowly falling to the ground. "You actually did it. You tackled me." I was shocked laying underneath him.

"You needed to stop. Now please take a few deep breaths." His biceps flexed while he held himself above me in push-up position. His body so close to mine pulling my thoughts from Victor and Carrie to what his lips would feel and taste like. What it would feel like to be body to body with him. For his hot skin to touch my skin.

"Better?" He asked ripping me from my inappropriate thoughts about his tongue on me.

"Jerk." I huffed pushing him off of me.

"Listen I had to do something." He shrugged his shoulders sitting next to me offering his hand to help pull me up but I refused it and got up on my own. "Now tell me what's up."

I walked over to the counter and handed him the file. I watched intently while he read the note and the contents of the file.

The note read; "Alana read this file and await my phone call."

The file had information about Victor. A big lead that looks like it could crack the case but it was suspicious. Melroy read it over and over again shaking his head more and more. "This can't be true." He whispered to himself.

The burner phone violently buzzed against the counter making the both of us jump up. I shakily answered the phone. The call lasted only a minute before he hung up on me.

"Alana, slip that file to my friends at the FBI for me darling."

"Why?" I asked putting the phone on speaker so Agent Melroy could listen.

"I want them chasing this fake lead for awhile. I need more time." His voice was abnormally calm tonight. It was chilling.

"They won't believe me. I've refused to help so many times."

"Just hand it over to Melroy he'll believe you." He hissed almost like he knew he was with me sending me back to pacing and being paranoid.

"I'll see what I can do."

"Excellent. Goodnight my love sweet dreams."

"What do I do?" I panicked throwing the phone on the couch.

"We got this no problem." He shook it off like it was nothing.

We devised a plan for tomorrow. I would go back to the park and Melroy would get Miller to be sitting at the food truck with him and I'll bring them the file. All I have to do is negotiate with them about the file and get Miller and Melroy to agree to take the file.