7. Dolci

"I knew you could make the team. You've got really good skills, good enough to make Coach Orion smile!" Charlie exclaimed to his friend. Jamie, making sure they were taking the correct route home, listened as the boy continued to compliment how well she does on the ice.

"I appreciate you rooting for me, but is it going to be an everyday thing?" Jamie questioned her friend. Charlie replied with a shrug, not letting the smile fade away from his face. From there, the conversation shared by the two died down to an awkward silence. Jamie didn't mind it, but Charlie did.

"Hey, can I ask you something? Why are you staying with Hans?"

Jamie's heart stopped at the question. Since her arrival, Jamie was successful in avoiding the topic of her parents. She knew it would come eventually, but not at this timing. She couldn't lie to her friend; then again, she knew it was for her own good if she kept it to herself.

As if God answered her prayers, Jamie looked up and saw that she was inches away from Hans' store. At that moment, she decided to ignore Charlie's question; maybe it will advise him not to ask it again.

The two teenagers snuck in the backdoor, Jamie leading the way. She quietly rushed towards her room as Charlie was caught by Hans.

"School was not so fun today, Charlie?"

"How did you know it was me?" the boy said nonchalantly.

"Only two people can open a door so sadly: you and Gordon."

"Yeah, but what about Jamie? SHE came in first!"

"Ah, she's a sly one. I'll get her next time." Hans says, sending a wink towards Jamie. The girl chuckled before sitting on her bed filled with homework.

The girl's bedroom was quite small but suitable to sleep in. Aside from the marshmallow-like bed, the room was also accompanied by a small desk, a window, and a wall lamp. Since she moved in, Jamie was able to make a few additions to the room, such as hanging band posters and some of her own artwork to the bare walls.

Jamie listened as Hans gave her friend advice about how he should handle Coach Orion. Personally, she liked the coach. Of course, the girl never got to experience Bombay as a hockey coach, but even if she did, Jamie wouldn't let herself get down in the dumps because of Orion's stricter rules.

Charlie entered the girl's room after he let out his frustrations. While Jamie sorted out the assignments she received for the day, the boy took his time admiring all of the handmade graphics on the walls.

"You made all of these?"

Jamie nodded. At times, she questioned if Charlie had ever stepped outside of his ice hockey bubble. It seemed as though everything was shocking to him, especially in her own life. Was she doing something different from everyone else?

In Charlie's perspective...it was just a sign of affection.

The two friends ended up completing most of their schoolwork before Hans called them for supper. The elder had always been kind enough to look after Charlie while his mother was on double shifts, and tonight was one of those nights.

"So, Jamie, how do you feel about high school?" Hans asks the girl next to him. Taking a bite of her food, the teenager recollected everything that happened earlier today.

"I made a few friends other than the Ducks. Libby and Desmond." she starts to say, "Charlie and I invited some people over so we can all work on an English project together too. I hope you don't mind."

Hans nodded with approval. Charlie then discussed how his classes are, not hesitating to jump back into the topic of hockey. "Orion just isn't Duck material, Hans. We need Bombay back."