2. Like A Bird

From Jamie's eyes, the ice hockey store never changed. It still had the same green lights hanging from the ceiling, the same wooden design, the same framed newspaper articles. Jamie has seen Hans' collection of articles dozens of times- read them all too. The only unknown stories were recent headlines of the Ducks, which will be read by the girl one day soon.

"I was able to have one of my storage rooms cleaned out for you," Hans explained, "I made sure your comforter and sheets are clean and that the mattress is good to sleep on. Trust me, it is. I took a five-hour nap on that thing."

Jamie chuckled, "Good to know. Thanks, Hans." The older man smiled at the young female, then walked back into the store where Gordon was waiting for him.

The girl placed her suitcase next to the bedframe, checking the alarm clock on the nightstand. Almost midnight. Jamie was exhausted tonight, even though she usually goes to sleep at a much later time. Hans was most definitely right, for the mattress, which's now Jamie's, is very comfortable. To her, it felt like sleeping on a marshmallow.

Before drifting off, however, Jamie's thoughts filled her brain. What will happen tomorrow? Will this be my time to make friends? What should I paint? Is Bombay going to bring up my father again? Where am I going to school in the fall? All very important questions to Jamie, but the white marshmallow she laid on got to her brain before the answers did.

-

Jamie fluttered her eyes open to the sound of a skate sharper. No matter how hard she tried blocking out the noise with her pillow, the girl knew it wasn't going away anytime soon. With that now known, Jamie rose from her bed and changed into appropriate attire.

Jamie's taste in clothing wasn't your typical female style. She either wore ripped jeans or sweatpants; A band tee or a solid color; And of course, a filthy pair of checkered Vans. The girl looked down as a final check before exiting her bedroom to see who woke her up.

Expecting it to be Hans or Gordon, Jamie silently looked towards a teenage boy focused on the machine. His brunette hair resembled a bowl cut, his legs appearing similar to noodles. He had to have stood at 6'0, which made him about five inches taller than Jamie.

When the boy made eye contact with Jamie, she nearly jumped in place. She felt her cheeks burn with embarrassment, but the boy just smiled. "Hey there, did I wake you?"

"Yeah, but don't worry about it," Jamie said in a normal tone.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know Hans was bringing home such a beautiful girl." the boy flirted, "I'm Charlie. Charlie Conway."

Jamie brushed away Charlie's compliment, thinking it was said only to be polite. She never thought of herself as an attractive person. She didn't have clear skin, a toned stomach, or perfect hair. Compared to others, Jamie believed she wasn't enough. "Yeah, you're on that Ducks team."

"Yeah! I'm actually the captain," he replied, trying to impress the girl, "Do you like hockey?"

"It's interesting, yes. Although I'm not an expert on the game." Jamie admitted. She moved away from the bedroom door and more towards the machine where the intrigued boy stood. "I do know how to skate, though."

Charlie grew another cheeky smile, gazing into Jamie's hazel eyes for a moment before noticing another figure entering the room.

"Look who finally woke up," Hans motioned towards Jamie. Charlie kept a grin on his face as Hans informed the teenagers he had prepared hasenpfeffer. Jamie, who was famished, did not hesitate to follow the elder into the small kitchen where the stew sat. As for Charlie, he continued to finish the hockey skate that remained in his hands before following the duo for breakfast.