3. Legacy

The following days have either resulted in Jamie returning to the skate park with her new friend or trapping herself in her room to work on new art projects: it just depended if Charlie entered the back door.

Jamie was rather surprised by how social she had become with Charlie, despite what had occurred recently. At times, she wished she could talk to someone about it but knew in her mind she needed to focus herself on newer things. Nevertheless, Jamie was proud to know she was finally making friends. Maybe Maryland didn't have her kind of people.

On this day, due to Charlie's inactivity, Jamie was called to help Hans sharpen more skates for the store. Now that colder weather is slowly approaching Minnesota, the store's popularity is soon to rise. The duo spent all morning prepping the newly sharpened skates and would soon receive Gordon's help with a new shipment of equipment.

"I think we only have a few pairs left for the shelves," Hans pronounced. The man lifted his head to meet Jamie's eyes, although she was focused on something other than the adult in the room. Hans glanced at the girl once more to catch sight of what she was looking at- it was a picture of her father.

The picture hanging on the wall was rather old. 1973. Gilbert Thrill was always a cheerful young boy, especially in the photo Jamie and Hans are admiring. The boy was standing next to Gordon Bombay who, at the time, was Gilbert's best friend. It wasn't until their teenage years where they began to drift away from one another. New opportunities were being offered to both of the boys, hence the end of their childhood friendship.

"I miss him," Hans speaks up, "He always had a positive mindset."

Jamie looked the elder in the eye, "He left too soon."

"Well, that's just how life is. Expect the unexpected." Hans says with a small smile. At that moment, Hans grew an idea. He set down the ice skate in his hand and walked towards a room Jamie was unfamiliar with. Within two minutes, Hans came back with his hands holding a cardboard box. "Follow me,"

Jamie took a seat on the couch as Hans placed the box on the coffee table in front of him. Opening the box, Hans set out a bunch of miscellaneous things. Jamie, confused at first, came to realize that these unknown things were not as unknown to her as she thought. They belonged to her father.

The teenager picked up a group of photos held together with a rubber band. It was like walking through the life of her father from the day he was born to the day he turned 18. Jamie viewed writings from school, report cards, old toys. What caught Jamie's eye last was an envelope. The envelope, held in Hans' hands, had written on the front:

To my girl

Hans handed the envelope to Jamie after noticing her staring at it. The elder explained, "Your father was young when he had you, but surely knew what he was doing. He loved your mother and loved you just as much. Before you were born, he was under a lot of pressure. So what he did was came to me, and I told him to write a letter. He told me to keep it and give it to you when it felt best."

Not letting the sudden urge to cry get to her, Jamie opened the envelope and began reading the note meant for her:

Wow, so you're my daughter. I haven't met you yet but it amazes me that I'm going to be taking care of you for the rest of my life. What will you look like? What will your interests be? I know you will be the prettiest girl I come to know (besides your mother). I also know I will try my hardest to make you a hockey girl. Hockey has always been such an important part of my life, and I'd really want to pass down that love to you.

I can't wait to hold you in my arms. To rock you to sleep, to sing and dance with you, for you to call me dad for the first time. I can't wait to watch you grow up and know everything. You are going to be so smart and have such great abilities. I always want you to do what you come to love, and hopefully do the things your mother and I love as well. Us both are always here to support you.