Chapter 6. Storm Clouds

Naruto's eyes widened in shock at the boy's words. "What...? Wait, Mitsuki, you don't have to leave..."

"I... do. I don't want to cause any more troubles..."

"Troubles?" the older cut in, unbelievable. "You haven't caused any troubles!" The Hokage stood up and walked towards the boy, kneeling in front of him and putting his hands on his shoulders. "You are not at fault, I am. I should have found a way to avoid what you've been going through..."

"Please, Lord Seventh... I know you're doing so much already. And... this is not about how people treat me, really." Mitsuki remained silent for a minute.

"Then please, tell me what's troubling you." Naruto immediately answered, because he had no intentions of giving up on this boy. "But please don't leave, it won't do any good to those who care about you."

"That's my point." the boy stated, his gaze on the floor. "I let Boruto and Sarada get involved in this... Boruto even got hurt for me... I... I don't want anyone else to get hurt because of me. Either physically, or..." he slowly raised his hand to tap two fingers against his chest. "here."

"Mitsuki..." the Hokage sighed, how was he supposed to convince this boy to not leave? "You are part of this village, no matter what your connections are, and you deserve to be protected too."

For some reason, the Hokage's words lifted that last bit of weight from his heart, that one thing that made him doubt his action, and the boy actually gave a small smile. "You know," he mused, meeting the blue eyes, "that's what I always liked about your speeches. That the whole village is your family... It had been like that for me, too. I never thought less, and slowly, in the year I spent in Konoha, the people became my family too."

The Hokage smiled slightly, had he convinced Mitsuki to not leave Konoha at all? That made him sigh of relief.

"And... that's exactly why I have to go." Mitsuki said and took a step back, freeing himself from the Hokage's grasp. "My presence... nowadays seem to cause nothing but restlessness to my family. A restlessness that is possibly on its way to affect you, too."

His smile vanished as soon as it appeared, and Naruto felt himself frowning slightly. "I believe that's my concern, rather than yours."

At these words, the blue haired boy couldn't help but give a soft smile while he tilted his head to a side. "But lord seventh... I consider you family, too."

Naruto didn't know what to say to that as the child's words touched his heart. "Mitsuki..."

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Naruto found himself somehow glad to have this interruption. "Come in."

And in walked his advisor, with a - God help him - cat carrier under his arm. "Well... I'm sorry Mitsuki. He just doesn't seem like he wants to stay away from you." There was a soft, knowing tone in his voice that told Naruto he had been listening.

The boy sighed yet again, honestly, was he expecting anything else? "Thank you." he said, taking the carrier from the man's hands. Just when Shikamaru was about to leave though, Mitsuki's voice stopped him. "Umm, Shikamaru-san?"

The man turned back to look at him. "Yes?"

Mitsuki took a folded paper out of his sleeve and held it out to the man. "Can you please give this to Shikadai?"

Shikamaru was visibly hesitant to take the piece of paper, but after exchanging glances with Naruto, he took it with a sigh. "You know as well as I do that Shikadai prefers a direct approach."

"I do." The boy's smile was soft but only a little bitter. "Please... tell him I'm sorry... And to Boruto and Sarada too... But that's for the best. And maybe... as we pursue our individual dreams... we can meet again one day."