Chapter 11. Lost Hopes

Sarada was counting in her head as her father continued his brisk pace. They were almost out of the hospital building, she could see Boruto in the Hokage's arms in front of them...

"Papa..." she whispered, her voice tight and low with the sobs, tears still sliding down her cheeks. "It's been a minute and a half... P-please, let's just turn back..." Her voice became tinier then. "I need to know..." she couldn't finish her sentence, but still, Sasuke didn't stop.

"Papa..." Sarada said again, becoming almost hysterical. "Please, I-I'm begging you... We need to be with him..."

"Your mother is with him." That was all Sasuke told her as he continued walking away from there.

"No! Papa please!" Sarada squeezed her eyes shut as she kicked her legs, trying to release her body from her father's grip. And then she felt it, fresh and cold air hitting her straight in the face, causing her hair to fly.

Feeling a new source of power from his daughter, and quite confused by this, Sasuke looked up at her, slightly frowning.

What he saw made his eyes slightly widen. An intricate flowery shape in the place of her irises...

He indeed almost came to a stop. No, this was too early...

Once they reached outside, he put her down but still held her tightly by her shoulder, making sure she didn't run back inside as soon as he let her go.

"Papa please let me go!" yelled the girl.

"Sarada, you need to calm down," he replied in his calm voice, even though he was too worried about what he had seen.

"How?! How can I calm down!? He is in there, he is dying!"

"Your mother and the medics are doing everything they can. Even if you were in there, there is nothing you can do."

"I don't care!" the girl screamed, shaking uncontrollably. "He needs us!"

"There is nothing you can do." the man said once again, firmly. "You will stay right here until there is something new from the inside. It's all up to him now, you being inside or throwing a tantrum is not going to change the outcome. Calm down."

Boruto was still subconsciously gripping his father's clothes as he cried his heart out, the images of what he had just witnessed wouldn't leave his mind, he didn't think it would disappear so soon... Mitsuki's hand trying to hold his own, his last words, how his head dropped to a side and his hand slipped away... All of it only made the younger blond grip Naruto's clothes tighter.

He heard all of Sarada's and his master's discussion and he wanted to say something too, agree with his childhood friend, but words weren't forming.

Naruto was holding him tightly, caressing his hair gently, not saying anything. He was holding his careful control in place for both of the kids' sake, to keep his worries and sadness inside, he knew he had to just trust Sakura and Tsunade... And Mitsuki... he would make it... he was a strong boy, he would make it...