Chapter 8. Saving Someone Precious

He was getting worried by now.

When Isis came to the hideout about an hour ago, he wasn't really pleased - first because Isis said Mitsuki had decided to leave Konoha for some reason, and second because... the child had practically called himself to his feet. He had considered not going at all - until Juugo said he could go in his stead. He was not having that.

"How long until we arrive?" he asked.

The snake had herself coiled around his neck. "Not far from here. His chakra is unstable though. I don't know why."

Why would that be the case? His boy had excellent chakra control, thanks to how he was made and years of training.

Something was wrong...

Suddenly, Isis hissed in recognition.

"Orochimaru-sama!"

The sannin saw what the snake's eyes already caught. A small, white rattlesnake, sliding on the ground towards them. "Koburo!" he exclaimed as he recognized his son's pet snake.

The snake stopped in front of them and rose to its full height, hissing non-stop. The female snake immediately replied to him, and it was all it took Orochimaru to wait until they were finished.

"This is not good..." said Isis finally.

Thank you for stating the obvious, he almost said, but he had no patience. "What is it?"

"Koburo says Mitsuki-sama was attacked by a group of ninjas... He tried to stop him, but when that didn't work, he rushed as quickly as he could to find us..."

Orochimaru had only listened to half of what she said. "Lead the way, Isis!"

And they were off again. He was trying to focus on just finding his son, but it was hard. Why was he attacked? How bad was the situation?

And most importantly... Why did he leave the village at the dead of night in the first place?

He reached the end of the river pretty quickly, that was where they were supposed to meet... He turned around himself, teeth gritted. "Where to?"

"His chakra is getting weaker, he's in the woods away from the river... I'm sure-"

Then there was a poof sound and the man felt the weight on his shoulders suddenly being completely lifted. He stopped dead in his tracks, his mind racing, his eyes widening.

"What is that child doing...?"

Isis disappearing could only mean one thing. Mitsuki was too weak to keep the connection. He simply refused to think of another possibility. He would not let some sort of low specimen take his masterpiece away from him. Anyone who even thought about hurting his boy... would pay dearly...

The only problem was... now he had no leads on the child. Isis could sense his chakra... With her out of the picture, the most he could do was to follow the sounds of a fight... which was another problem, seeing that there was none.

How was that even possible? There was a warm, healthy breeze in the spring night, and air dispersed sound... It was logically impossible that he would not hear a battle going on.

Unless...

The sannin gritted his teeth. He had never, ever let emotions control him before. He would not allow such a thing to happen now.

Something on the forest floor near the river then caught his eyes and he stopped just for a minute to check.

Blood...?

Without the moon, there was not enough light, but he was positive that it was blood.

He was becoming really, really unsettled now - how was he to find Mitsuki? He checked around to see if there were any leading trails... But after a few steps, they had stopped... Was the boy taken to somewhere else?