fourteen

The silence was deafening apart from the ticking of the hand on the clock and the heel of Angelina's shoe hitting the floor as she anxiously bounced her knee.

Her hands were folded in her lap, her eyes fixed on the door in front of her. Thomas was stood up behind her, his eyes watching the clock as it inched it's way towards 12.

The sound of the door handle turning alone made Angelina jump to her feet. It was no more than a second later that Thomas watched as she fell into her brother's arms as he walked through the door, both of them breaking down in tears as they embraced.

Tommy said nothing, he just stayed still, watching the family reunite, only with one man down.

"Thank God, thank God you are alright, Lina."

Lorenzo took his little sisters face in his hands and kissed her forehead before hugging her tightly again. He had been out trying to bring Stefano home safely for days on end, but sadly to no avail.

He was heartbroken about the loss of his brother, but what hurt him even more was the pain he felt knowing Angelina had stood there and watched their brother die. It was a pain that cut Lorenzo deeper than anything he'd ever felt before.

Jude walked into the house after Lorenzo. His clothes were torn, just like Enzo's, his face holding a sorrowful expression.

"I'm so sorry, Lina."

Angelina just nodded, wiping the tears from her face as she hugged Jude. Thomas looked down at his shoes.

"Mr Shelby?"

Tommy looked up from the floor when Lorenzo approached him.

Enzo and Thomas had bad blood previously, not with one another, but their gangs respectively. It was complicated, but after the death of Kimber, it left them in no man's land when it came to picking a side.

"I just wanted to say thank you," Enzo cleared his throat, "For taking care of Angelina. She, she's just a young girl, sometimes I think she should've stayed in Rome," he chuckled.

Thomas smiled slightly, only now noticing how alike Angelina and he brother looked. Both with the same dark, chiselled features and thick Italian accent.

"I'd do anything to protect Angelina, I'm sorry I couldn't have done more for your brother."

Lorenzo inhaled deeply, nodding. He licked his lips, holding out a hand to Thomas.

Tommy looked at Lorenzo's gesture, then over at Angelina and Jude.

The two men shook hands, locking eyes with a smile for the first time.

"A drink!"

Angelina exclaimed, more a statement than a question. She cleared her cheeks from tears once again and made her way over to the kitchen, grabbing four glasses and a bottle of whiskey.

Jude walked over to Tommy and Lorenzo.

"I must get off now."

"No," Angelina stopped pouring the drinks as Tommy started to make a move towards the door, "Please Thomas, stay."

He paused, looking at her and the way her eyes were pleading with him. He then looked at Jude who appeared to be disgruntled at the invitation.

"Alright." Thomas said, nodding.

+

The funeral took place a few days later and the wake was held at The Marquis. Angelina, Lorenzo and the rest of Lorenzo's men attended, as well as Thomas, Arthur and John. Agnes, Charlotte and Ada had also stopped by to pay their respects and have a drink for Stefano.