─⌖❖ 12

Nevertheless, this day still had some surprises in store. On all TV channels, all news channels and online anyway, there was only one topic that overshadowed all the events and was discussed. A video recorded by a dashcam of a patrol car, showing a dead man. The Punisher. Frank Castle was alive.

"Well, look at that," escaped Pages quietly, which was more for her own benefit as all of her colleagues gathered in front of the television in the conference room to hear what Castle was all about and subsequently talk about what his rising from the dead meant for the FBI, "It can happen that fast."

"It can happen that quickly?" a colleague repeated questioningly, pushing back a chair and settling down on it, courtesy of the news, "In what way?"

"Sooner or later, this kind of thing had to happen. A man like Castle doesn't hide and start a quiet life. A guy like him, can't," Page countered, doing the same to her colleague, who slid a stack of sheets stapled together across the table to her, "Let me guess. So clean you can assume someone ordered a deep clean. Clinically clean."

"To the extent you can say that about a former soldier," at the same moment the young woman faltered, pulled the stack from under Page's fingers and began hastily thumbing through them, "There was something."

A few seconds later Page heard a bingo, her colleague tapped a page several times and got the bunch of sheets pushed over open. Interesting. Maybe, possibly, it wasn't all a lie. Who would have expected it? Possibly no one.

As it turned out, Mister Perfect and the Punisher were actually old friends. Pretty good ones, it met many more. Over several years, the two served together, deployed together and were on the same teams. In addition, Russo became part of Castle's family. And now Castle said he no longer trusted this man. That was interesting. An extremely interesting development, of fact. So what has to happen for a brother to turn his back on his brother? A lot, a lot, considering they both trusted each other with their lives.

That was Sin City. No one was to be trusted. Lots of people pretending to be something they weren't. A bunch of liars and criminals.