Touka Kirishima: Prologue

I changed the bandages on his chest while he lay sleeping like a corpse on the bed.

He's still breathing.
He's still healing.
He's still my little brother.

Changing his bandages made me feel nostalgic.

I never dressed his wounds before no matter how much and how often he hurts himself accidentally because of what we are. Wounds, cuts or broken bones easily heal for us. But I remember changing his shirt a lot because he was so energetic and naughty that he would always be drenched in sweat or covered in dirt.

I wish this was as easy as that...

I left the room and headed downstairs to the cafe but I stopped right at the door when I heard voices coming from the other side.

"Would Oniisan still wake up?" I heard
Hinami ask someone else inside the room. It was clear she's worried about him.

"He will Hinami-chan." I heard Nishiki answer optimistically which was quite new for him.

I was about to turn around and walk away so I could avoid meeting anyone when the door suddenly opened revealing a grinning Uta.

"Oi Touka, didn't you know eavesdropping is a bad thing to do?" He asked with his usual teasing tone. I would have smiled or kicked him if we were in a different situation.

Hinami, possibly sensing my distress called out to me. "Oneechan, do you need anything?"

Uta gently took my hand and lead me towards the group. "I..."

"Damn Touka just want some coffee?" Nishiki asked with a smirk.

Even though we are in this situation, I still wanted to smash his annoying face because of what he said but he shrugged and stood up to brew a cup of coffee for me. "Uhm-"

"No need to thank me now." Nishiki chuckled as he busied himself with the coffee preparations. "Have you seen him?"

I felt like everyone in the room aside from Nishiki held their breaths while they waited for me to answer.

"No." I looked down at the floor. "I haven't yet."

They all exhaled seeing that I'm still composed. Nishiki finished brewing me a cup of coffee and handed it to me carefully.

"You should go see him Oneechan." Hinami whispered. "I know you have to take care of your brother but..."

I stared at the coffee as if waiting for it to give me some answers on how should I react. They don't like my brother. And I understand why. After all... He was never likable with his arrogant and violent nature. Add the fact that he's one of the high ranking officers of the Aogiri Tree.

But...

Kaneki has all of us while Ayato only have me.

"I'll go see him when Ayato becomes stable." I replied and gave them a small smile so they wouldn't worry. "Thank you for the coffee."

I gave Nishiki a quick nod and immediately walked back to the staircase before anyone could react.

"Maybe it isn't just because of Ayato being injured." I heard Irimi-san tell the others.

"Ah... That might be true." Koma-san agreed. "After all, Kaneki consumed the dove's kakuja armor which turned out to be their father's kagune."

I heard someone else react but I was already far away to hear what they were saying so I stopped and took a deep breath.

I already heard what happened that time in Cochlea the night Kaneki brought Ayato here in Anteiku but imagining Ayato fighting the Ghoul Investigator as he at the same time finally learned about what happened to our father...