2007: The Princess

Jake, now going by the name of Akoni, was 9 years old and already a genius.  He had gone to the best school in Wakanda, located in Golden City, and was trained as the first male in the Dora Milaje.  He learned to tame rhinos and fight with a spear, yet always stayed humble to his talents.

He was not treated fairly by his peers for not being Wakandan, and always felt like an outsider.  They would call him things like: "outsider," or "foreigner."  There was only one person in his class who didn't give him dirty looks or talk.  It was a girl.  She was very popular considering she was part of the royal family.  Akoni never spoke to anyone.  He was kind of an introvert.

One day, however, Akoni was assigned a group project.  He had to create an invention.  It shouldn't be too hard, except for that he needed to work with someone.  Everyone wanted to partner with the girl.  She was a princess after all.  Akoni ran his fingers through his curly hair as he looked out the window.  He was snapped back to reality when the girl sat next to him.  His face was full of confusion.

"Want to be my partner for the project?" she asked.  "Sure, I guess," he responded.  "I'm Akoni by the way," he added.  "Shuri," she responded.

It was getting late, and Akoni and Shuri were hard at work building an android.  It's primary function was to do all the things people didn't want to do themselves.  "This next part is going to be hard.  We had to attach all the neurons non-sequentially," Shuri sighed.  "Why don't we just reprogram the neurons to work connectively?" Akoni asked.

"Huh, didn't think of that."  Akoni let out a small laugh.  "Why don't you talk to people?  I'm sure if they got to know you," Shuri suggested.  Akoni simply shook his head.  "Why?  So they can make more fun of me?  I don't get it.  What did I ever do to them?"

Shuri felt bad for him.  There was an awkward silence for the rest of the day.  "I should probably get home, but it was nice working with you," Akoni said.  "You too," Shuri replied.  Akoni walked back to his house.  It was pretty big.  He lived right on the outskirts of Golden City.  He lay on his bed, reading with his kimoyo bead.  Eventually, he drifted off to sleep.