2016: The Mission to Busan

Akoni stood next to T'Challa as Okoye gave disturbing news. "A misidentified Wakandan artifact was stolen yesterday from a  museum. We have learned that Ulysses Klaue plans to sell the Vibranium to an unspecified buyer in  Korea tomorrow night."

"Klaue has escaped our pursuits for almost 30 years," T'Challa chimed in. "Not capturing him is, perhaps, my father's  regret. I wish to bring Klaue back here to stand trial."

"Wakanda does not need a warrior right now. We need a king!" the elder of the Merchant Tribe argued. "My parents were killed when he attacked," W'Kabi reminded everyone. "Not a day goes by when I do not think about what  took from us. From me."

"It's too great an opportunity to pass," Okoye added. "Take me with you," W'Kabi pleaded to T'Challa. "We'll take him down together, side by side."

"I need you here protecting the border."

"Then I ask... you kill him where he stands. Or you  him back to us."

"You have my word. I will  him back." There was a moment of silence. "We will proceed with the mission."

~~~

"My King," Shuri greeted sarcastically. "Stop it. Just stop it," T'Challa said with a smirk. "I've  sent a car ahead to Busan for you," Shuri informed him. "Who are you taking with you to Korea?" she then asked. "Okoye, Akoni, and Nakia as well." Shuri then directed her attention to Akoni, who was slouching around. "Hey! Get your feet off my desk!" she shouted, making him jump.

"I thought this was our lab," he defended. "No, this side is my lab. That side is yours," she explained, pointing to the other side of the room. She then returned her attention to her brother. "You sure it's a good idea to take your ex on a mission?"

"Yes. We'll be fine. Besides, you'll be on call should we need backup.

"Yes!"

"I have great things to show you, brother," she said excitedly. "Here are your communication devices for Korea. Unlimited range, also  with audio surveillance system."

"Check these out," she said, walking over to some prototype Kimoyo beads. "Remote Beads. Updated to  directly interface with my sand table." Akoni giggled at Shuri's excitement

"And what are these?" T'Challa asked, pointing to another gadget. "The real question is what are those?!" she mocked, pointing to T'Challa's shoes and making him chuckle. "Why do you have your toes out in my lab?"

"What, you don't like my royal sandals? I wanted to go old school for my first day," T'Challa explained with a goofy grin off his face. "I bet the elders loved that," Shuri joked, taking out two shoe soles.  "Try them on," she said. T'Challa stepped his feet in the soles, and the reformed into shoes.

"Fully automated.  Like the old American movie Baba used to watch, and I made them completely sound absorbent," Shuri bragged as T'Challa stomped his feet on the ground.

"Interesting."

"Guess what I call them." T'Challa looked intrigued, and raised his eyebrow. "Sneakers. Because you... never mind," she said, patting his shoulder and walking to another invention. "If you're  to take on Klaue... you'll need the best the design group has to offer. Exhibit A," she continued, pointing to T'Challa's suit. "My design," he said.

"Old tech."

Old?"

"Functional, but old. Hey, people are shooting at me. Wait, let me put on my helmet."

"Enough."

"Now, look at these."

T'Challa's gaze fixated on the mannequin with the golden necklace. "Do you like that one?" Shuri asked. "Tempting, but the idea is to not be noticed. This one," he said, pointing to the one with the silver necklace. "Yes! You owe me $5!" Akoni cheered, pointing to Shuri. She simply shook her head and smiled. She then imprinted the suit to T'Challa with her kimoyo bead.

"Now tell it to go on."

The nanites formed into a much more flexible suit, with traditional Wakandan symbols and a strong helmet. "The entire suit sits within the teeth of the necklace," Shuri explained.

"Strike it."

"Anywhere?"

"Mmm-hmm."

T'Challa kicked the mannequin across the room. "Not that hard, genius!" Shuri shouted with annoyance. "You told me to hit it. You didn't say how hard," he defended. "I invite you to my lab, and you just kick my stuff around?"

"Well, maybe you should make it a little stronger. Hey, wait a minute," he said, noticing the purple glow the suit gave off.

"The nanites absorb the energy... and hold it in place for redistribution," Shuri explained. "Very nice," T'Challa complimented. "It was my idea!" Akoni blurted out. "And where did you get the idea from?" T'Challa asked. "When you were getting bullied by M'Baku earlier," he joked.

"Strike it again in the same spot," Shuri said, activating her Kimoyo bead. "You're recording?" T'Challa asked suspiciously. "For research purposes," she promised. T'Challa kicked the suit again, but was flown backwards as a purple shockwave erupted from the lower abdomen. Shuri ended the video and laughed at her brother mockingly.

"Delete that footage," he commanded.

~~~

Akoni sharpened his swords as T'Challa put on his necklace. "Are you sure you want to go on this mission?" he finally asked. "Why do you say that?" Akoni asked back. "Come on Akoni, you're 18. You should be worried about your studies, finding a job... my sister," he said. Akoni's eyes widened slightly. "What do you mean?" he asked nervously, looking at the floor. "I see the way you look at her," he chuckled. "Ease up. If there's one person I'd approve of her being with, it's you."

"Thanks T'Challa," Akoni said with a smile.