2016: Vengeance

Since 2012, Akoni had been watching the news much more often, and keeping tabs on the Avengers. To him, they were nothing more than a growing threat. New York, Greenwich, Washington D.C., Sokovia, and now Lagos. It seemed all they did was cause trouble. After only only 5 years of training, Akoni was for field duty. Now a defender of Wakanda, he began his first mission. He followed T'Chaka and T'Challa onto a private jet and headed for Vienna.

He wore a suit, dress shirt, tie, black silk pants, and dress shoes. All black. As Akoni entered the U.N. building, he studied his surroundings. The leaders of 117 countries were there to sign the Sokovia accords, along with a few other people. These included Natasha Romanoff, who was talking with T'Challa.

"You don't approve of all this?" she asked him. "The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred," T'Challa clarified. "Unless you need to move a piano," King T'Chaka interjected. "King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria," Romanoff said. "Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

Akoni continued to watch everything closely as T'Chaka began his speech. "When stolen Wakandan Vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria, were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative."

Akoni then spotted something out of the window. A man in a white van. "T'Challa, what is that?" he asked. His eyes then widened as he saw a rocket head towards him. "Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace."

"Everybody get down!" T'Challa yelled, running to his father. Then the explosion happened. Akoni's eyes became blurry and his ears rung. He could hear screaming and fire. He got up to see T'Challa cradling his father in his arms. The king of Wakanda... was dead.

Akoni sat on a bench next to T'Challa, still taking in what had just happened. He had a cut on his head from the explosion. He has no idea what had happened. "I'm very sorry," Natasha said, sitting down next to T'Challa.

"In my culture death is not the end. It's more of a stepping-off point. You reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where you can run forever." T'Challa toyed with his father's ring as he spoke. "That sounds very peaceful," Natasha said.

"My father thought so," T'Challa said, putting the ring on his finger. "But I am not my father." Akoni could see the determination in his eyes. He knew what he was about to do. "T'Challa. Task force will decide who brings in Barnes."

"Don't bother, Miss Romanoff. I'll kill him myself," T'Challa finished, clenching his fist and walking away. Akoni followed. "I'm so sorry T'Challa," Akoni apologized. ""This was my first mission. The King needed me and I..." T'Challa looked at him solemnly. "No one is blaming you Akoni." He then looked at the ground. "I cannot ask you to do this." Akoni then clenched his fists. "You don't have to. I will avenge my king."

~~~

After traveling to Bucharest, T'Challa, now wearing his traditional Black Panther suit, and Akoni traversed the rooftop and headed for James Barnes' apartment. Akoni also wore traditional Wakandan armor around his torso and legs, and carried two Vibranium swords on his back. As they saw James jump from a building and run onto a rooftop they followed. T'Challa jumped first and Akoni after. James tried to defend himself with only his metal arm, but couldn't.

He then continued running. T'Challa and Akoni chased him, and were chased by Steve Rogers. Akoni wasn't a super soldier, so he couldn't keep up. Then, a man with mechanical wings showed up, trying to get T'Challa away from Steve and James. His name was Sam Wilson. Akoni used this opportunity to jump on the man. He used the extra speed of the jetpack to catch up with James. He then used all the momentum to jump onto the motorcycle.

He popped the tire with one of his swords, and ended the chase as they exited the tunnel. German soldiers then closed in on the five of them, along with James Rhodes. "Stand down now," he ordered. Akoni returned the swords to his back and T'Challa removed his helmet, revealing his face.

"Your highness."