douz.

twelve- the day after he came back

adelin woke up on saturday morning wrapped in calum's arms. she wanted so badly to leave, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. she hadn't felt this good, this safe in a long time.

so instead, she snuggled as close to him as she possibly could and stayed like that until he woke up.

she was up for a while, staring at the ceiling with the sound of her own thoughts whirring around in her head, much like the fan on the ceiling. she thought about what she was doing over and over again until calum woke up at about 10:30 with a yawn, and a "good morning, princess."

"morning, calum," she hummed in response. adelin folded right back into him like they were still together and she was so angry at herself for it.

"sleep okay?" calum asked, wrapping his other arm around her and pulling her in closer.

"i did," she said truthfully. "you?"

"best sleep i've gotten in seven months," he told her, referencing the months they'd been apart, and it stung her to her core.

adelin thought back to the second time she slept over at calum's house when he told her he had trouble sleeping. when they started dating he said the only time he ever got sleep was when he was lying with her. she had to blink away the tears welling in her eyes.

remembering that they were no longer together, she was starting to get upset. "i should go, calum." adelin tried to get up, but calum grabbed her waist and pulled her back down.

"please don't," calum begged. "just lay with me for a little while longer. please."

adelin sighed. "ten minutes."

"ten minutes," calum repeated, this time being the one to cuddle into the crook of adelin's neck.

adelin ran a hand through his hair, which was overruled by the bedhead. calum hummed in content.

adelin was careful to keep track of the time by looking at the alarm clock on calum's bedside table. but every time she looked, she saw the framed picture of them that sat next to it and thought about the day it was taken.

"calum!" adelin squealed. "put me down!"

calum was laughing and spinning adelin on his shoulders as they walked on the beach. "sorry, princess, not gonna happen."

adelin tried to jump out of his arms, but calum kept his arms wrapped tightly around her legs.

"i hate you," adelin joked.

"you love me."

"i hate you."

"i love you."

"what?" adelin's mouth dropped slightly. "calum, what did you just say."

calum put adelin down and placed her in front of him, no more than a few inches between them. he moved the loose hair out of her face and held his hand on her cheek. "i love you, adelin."

adelin grinned so hard her face hurt. "i love you, too." she never would have thought calum would be the one to say it first, and the fact that he was made it mean even more to her.

calum placed a long, sweet kiss to her lips. adelin loved kissing him. every time she did she felt like she was on top of the world and she never wanted it to end. he was her home.

calum pulled back, with his hands still holding her face, looking at the girl he was in love with in complete awe.

they both heard a clicking noise and turned their heads to see a sweet elderly couple with their phone out. they were both bundled up because it was new year's day and the beach was pretty chilly.