Chapter 1

Barry, Mo, and I walk along a sidewalk in the small town of Fair View, conveniently located by our recording studio for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. We three are in the filming of the movie, and recording the songs along with artists like Alice Cooper and Aerosmith. Luckily, though, we get a short break and this was nearby,

The air is crisp, and the town looks mostly empty with the exception of a few passersby. It seems like a place that's mostly isolated and in a bubble of their own rather than included in the current happenings of the world. In a way, I like that because Barry, Mo, and I don't get bombarded by mad fans and mega fans.

"Robin, look there, it's a music shop," Maurice comments, casually pointing to the tiny shop on the corner.

I turn my head and see it there and, just like the rest of the town, it's mostly empty with only three customers and the employees.

Without another word, Barry and Mo walk inside the shop. In my mind, I'm just glad that there's something for us to do here. I can see what kinds of music this one has and if they have any of our records.

I walk past a couple of racks, lightly brushing my fingers over them. Then I see this girl, who looks to be no more than 5'2", flicking through the '45 records. Her fingers delicately graze each one as if to examine them carefully. Her cowboy boots click against the floor. She looks like she's in a world of her own. She seems different and I can't put my finger on it.

I can't help but glance over at her a little every once in a while, only to find that I think she's completely captivated by me.

"Any good finds today, Mel?" the man yelled from the counter.

"A couple! Not many though! Mind if I add to my tab?" she asks meekly as she holds a few '45s in her hand. She immediately walks over to the man at the counter and places her stack on top.

"By the time you lay it off, you'll owe me a million dollars!" he exclaims, and in response the girl giggles and rolls her eyes.

I feel strange listening to their conversation, but they seem to pay no mind to everyone else in the store and hold a fairly loud conversation.

"Make that a million and one." I can see her winking at the man.

I can't help but giggle at her because of her seemingly sassy and carefree response. I see her turn to me with an unreadable expression, at least to me. Did I offend her? I only thought her statement was funny...

Barry and Mo are snickering among the racks and pay no mind to her.

I walk over to them and join them in looking at the records.

She picked up the Main Course vinyl, which was a little worse for wear, but put it back with a huff and whispered, "Darn it."

With a grin, Barry came over to her and said, "What's wrong darling?" He was sucking on his lollipop as he stood in front of her.

"Oh- Um, I was going to get this record but decided against it." She has a very distinctively quiet voice and I can tell Barry couldn't quite hear her. I can hardly hear her as it is.

"Speak up love, we're deaf," Maurice retorts with a grin.

"Sorry. I was going to get this record." I watched as Mo and Barry crowded around her and how almost nervous she was.

Then, suddenly, Barry took it from her hands with a satisfied grin and looked at it.

"Hey!" She reached up for it as Barry held it high enough so she couldn't reach it. They were both laughing so hard they couldn't speak. I wasn't laughing, though.