A Future with You

"Do you see a future with me?"

One day, he asked out of the blue while we were waiting at the bus stop. I didn't know if he took the opportunity that no one was around to ask me that question. Who had imagined Rex asking this question to me?

A bag in hand and his brother's hand-me-down university bag on his one shoulder, he was standing beside me; I was sitting next to him, earphones on my ears, listening to the music he shared with me. Looking up to meet his gaze, his eyes were glistening like the fireflies dancing beneath the lamp post. I removed the earphones on my ears and waited for him to say something.

We got out of school late. He waited for me to finish the meeting my group mates and I had for the thesis defense. They were done with the preparations

It would just be weeks from now before we say goodbye to college. I was unsure of where things could lead us both. We haven't talked about it yet. For sure, we were to separate ways. He would be working with the firm, I would be somewhere looking for a job. No one knew if after the day of graduation we could still be together.

"Why'd you ask?" I said.

"If God allows, I would definitely take the chance to spend the rest of my life with you."

He sounded so romantic, not the Asis I knew so loved to joke around and laugh at the things I do. He was so serious, like talking of getting married and having our own home.

"All right. I intend to grow old with you then."

I felt my face burn red. We don't normally talk about this stuff. A future together? Sounds fun.

He hesitated for a moment then asked again another question.

"What if something terrible happens and we don't end up together?" he asked, hesitant after hearing his own words.

"It's not that I don't want to, but we don't hold the future. You know what I mean?" he added.

The question made my heart sink. He was just arriving with a hypothesis yet I don't find it amusing. It could and couldn't happen.

"Well, in that case, it's been a great experience getting to know you."

"Just always remember this, Ivy. Whatever happens, wherever we are, I'll forever think of you. You've been here for a long time." he pointed at his chest, on the part where his heart rested.

I smiled at him. He returned a sweet smile. This made my night and our story of love continued from that day forth.

"Forever with you, Asis."

He wasn't the Rex Asis with sweet bones and loved to sugarcoat words, but when he did talk stuff just like this one, he could make fairy tales exist. He never failed to let it show. Even if my wishes wouldn't come true, it was all fun. Asis and Conde were already granted a wish.

- - -

This was our own version of happy ever after. Somewhere out there, our stars will meet again. When that time comes, they will align and shine brightly in the corner of the world. Those stars are our hearts. They will gleam as they find their way back to each other. I lost him today but not forever. We will meet again. He's somewhere on the other side, watching me. Those laughing black eyes are always looking after me.

The end.