4 years ago

It was Friday.

My nineteenth birthday would be tomorrow. I'd invited some of my friends to celebrate it with me at home. It was the first time I asked them to come over to our house and celebrate this special occasion. We usually just went out and eat somewhere where there was no adult to refrain us from doing dumb stuff. Sten already accepted my invitation; Prix was not sure if he could make it because it was also his mom's birthday; Angelo would hit me up tomorrow morning if he could attend. And if the guys couldn't make it, I would have to celebrate with Sten and my family. A small celebration was still merry.

"Why aren't you asking me?" a complaint from Asis was heard.

We were at the 'hideout' which was not really a hideout because we were exposed to the public. This place was the most comfortable study area on the school grounds. It was like this area was made just for our group to utilize it. As I noticed it, we were the same group of students who sat at this table. Whenever we passed by this place to attend class, it was usually vacant.

I responded to Asis. "I don't really care if you would be there or not. Doesn't make a difference."

"Of course it does. If this is still about your bag, I'm sorry. Okay? I won't do that prank on you again.

"Yeah, sorry about that too, birthday girl," Prix seconded Asis' apology because he was an accomplice of it.

It was the bag prank they did a week ago on me. They took my bag and hanged it without my consent. Those were the kind of pranks they loved to play with me and with some of our classmates. How did I not notice that? Well, books were my main focus all the time. Not even my wallet would entice me to look at what's inside of it.

Engaged in the new book I was reading, I just nodded and said nothing. He was sitting across from me. Sten was seated next to me, and Prix was right beside her. Fourth was occupying the seat next to Asis.

"What's with the nod? Can't you at least say something? Like, I'm already forgiven?" Asis demanded.

I didn't say anything and just diverted my attention to the book I was reading.

"Hey, Conde, I wouldn't miss your birthday. I'm looking forward to eating the cake and other sweet stuff you may have for us."

I let his imagination wander on its own. He could do as he pleased, whatever decision he could come up with. I had no control over Asis' life. Even if I tell him that he wasn't invited, he would still show up.

"My, are you trying to ignore me?" he asked, covering the page of the book I was currently reading.

"Hey, stop playing cat and mouse," Angelo started to enter the picture. He was silently sitting with us, observing the place, then he finally said something. I stopped from reading. Asis pulled his hand away from my book. "You won't get anywhere by doing that," he added.

Fourth might be referring to Asis' obstinacy. Rex acted like a grade-schooler most of the time. It was one of his quirks to annoy me, and some of our classmates. Was he referring to Rex and me? The mouse and the cat?

Fourth got up from his seat, handing something over to me. "Here's your gift," he said. "In case I'm calling a rain check tomorrow."

I took it and said thanks. I thought he would stay here with us, he didn't have a class for the next hour. Where was he planning to go?

"I'll leave you guys here. Mitch is waiting for me. Hit me up whenever you need anything."

And then he walked away without waiting for us to say goodbye.