Chapter 13. Swati or Swastik

Nikita was an angel. Just when I was thinking to call her to apologise for not telling her everything, she called me to apologise for leaving in a huff and coming to my house without warning me. 'I know what you have been through in last one month...your sister's death and everything. I...my behaviour was completely uncalled for,' she said. I could visualise her fiddling with her hair as she spoke demurely. It was such an understanding gesture on her part that I was cursing myself for not involving her in the greatest mystery of my life. However, I assured her that given some time I will come to terms with my ability to share and on that positive note we both made a pact that whatever happens we won't fight again, at the least we will try not to. Just when we were deciding the venue of our next meeting, my phone beeped. It was Bhaskara calling. Thinking it must be important, without intimation, I switched over my call to Bhaskara's who to my dismay was not calling to update me on the case but to hold an inquiry about the girl who visited me in the morning.

'She's my old friend,' I said as I tried to think wherever that constable was hiding when I was standing with her.

'Really? A GIRL FRIEND?' he asked in a teasing voice.

'Umm...' I was at loss of words as I didn't expect such candid interest from Bhaskara. Had it been Shuchi, it would have been understandable but Bhaskara?

My amusement was soon put to rest when he expounded on the necessity to keep the strangers at bay, especially after last night's incident. When I guaranteed that Nikita was completely harmless, Bhaskara jumped straight to the business- Shuchi's laptop.

'Officially,' Bhaskara said, 'I can procure the laptop on the warrant but I don't want to attract any attention from either your parents or Black Swan. Because last time, when they scented fish, it didn't take them another minute to erase the whole family off the charts.'

I shuddered at the reminder of Paikaray incident.

'Yes-,' I agreed, '-publicity won't be good for us. Plus I don't want anything to happen to mom and dad. I just want them safe.'

'Exactly and I hope you are not sharing the details with anyone.'

For once my mind patted my back for my majestic restraint.

'Be assured,' I said confidently, 'your words lie within me.'

'Good. Now work your charm and get the laptop to the station. I guess Shuchi will not disappoint us.'

Get the laptop! But how? How do I get past mom & dad? It's not a flash drive that I can sneak inside my pocket. There is only one entrance to the room and it goes through the hall, plus her room is exactly opposite to mom & dad's, if dad catches me again. How will I save myself this time? I was thinking over the various ways to get to the laptop when Nikita called.

'Hey, the phone got disconnected,' she said.

'Yeah! I've sort of gotten busy; you see...mom's given some work.'

'Oh is it regarding the fund raising event?' she asked excitedly.

'What event?'

'The fundraiser event of Promising Hearts Foundation that supports education of under-privileged children. Your parents are donating money on your sister's name to them. Isn't it?'

I remembered mom's idea; a week ago, on the dinner table when she had proposed to donate on Shuchi's name, dad wholeheartedly supported her. However, I didn't realise that she'll start executing it so soon.

'But the event is next week- Monday. Why are you working on it right now?' asked Nikita.

Next week? That's not far. Today is Friday...almost gone...Saturday, Sunday, two more days! Yes, but Bhaskara said it was urgent. But he waited for so many days. What can go wrong in two more days....just two more days? Besides, you'll get ample of opportunity on the fundraiser day. Just think...you can sneak back from the event, get the laptop, deliver to police station and go back to the event. And nobody would know anything. Yes, that's a good plan. A win-win for all.