[THIRTY-EIGHT]

"Well..." Taehyung began, lazily moving his hands in a circular motion as though they were a loading screen, his mind pulling blanks.

"We're..." Namjoon pursed his lips, dark eyes falling into a glazed squint, seconds tolling by before he sighed, "Yeah, I got nothing."

"We're going to pick up Yeji from her aunt's house," The half-lie fell off Jimin's tongue so sweetly, so innocently that even Sooyoung forgot just exactly how they were getting for back for a moment, "It's nothing particularly interesting."

"Uh-huh," Jungkook drawled, sitting beside Namjoon in the booth, eyes sharp, "So what exactly needs to be fool-proof if all you're doing is picking her up?"

"Oh who are we kidding? It's not like we're planning to overthrow the government," Sooyoung scoffed, shaking his head, "Yeji isn't there on her own will, I guess they're trying to farm the gay out of her, so we're breaking her out."

"Farm the gay out of her?" Taehyung repeated, furrowing his brows, "Well, I'm incorporating that phrase into my everyday life now."

She felt Jimin stiffen beside her, but chose to ignore his silent rebuttal to her choice in telling Jungkook the truth, and instead kept her gaze on Jungkook as he furrowed his brows, resting his chin in his palm, "Even if your plan is fool-proof, does that include when you get her back?"

If this were an anime, Sooyoung was sure they'd all freeze, the colour drained from them at the sudden realization that perhaps... they were getting ahead of themselves.

At the stammered silence at his question, Jungkook leaned back, folding his arms over his chest with the ghost of a smirk on his lips, "Well, well..." He tsked, "Did you not think that her parents would know about this and that if she went missing, they'd know where to look?"

"Then what do you propose we do?"  Jimin asked.

"Now don't get me wrong, the plan is good, but I think it could use more tweaking..." Jungkook trailed off, drumming his fingers on the table, "It would be easy to say that you guys broke into private property and kidnapped their niece, right? But if you got pictures of what was happening and threatened to take it to the police instead?"

"I genuinely never thought these words would come out of my mouth, but Jungkook has a point," Namjoon uttered before smacking his lips and scrunching his nose, "Ugh, that tasted bitter to say."

"What do you suppose they're doing to her? A lobotomy?" Jimin challenged, "What exactly are we supposed to get pictures of?"

"No wait, that doesn't matter," Sooyoung shook her head, "The fact that her parents have told the school she's really sick, and forced her there is already enough to raise suspicions and I doubt they're treating it like a normal visit when they're acting like she's been possessed by the devil."

Feeling the tension begin to build behind his eyes, Jimin rubbed them tiredly, "Let's just make sure she comes back to us."

"That we will, tiny man," Taehyung hummed, taking a sip of his coffee with a somewhat smile glint in his eyes, "That we will."

It took them just short of two hours, four rounds of caffeine and a lot of deliberation to articulate their best plan of action in retrieving Yejin from her family prison, and much to Jimin's initial reluctance, Jungkook was now part of the rescue squad.

With the dim orange glow of the sun beginning to anchor behind the stretched buildings, Sooyoung stretched her arms above her head, "Well, I'm glad we've sorted this out, I have other duties to attend to right now, but I guess I'll see you all after school on Friday."

Scooting out the booth with Chandae in tow, Sooyoung waved a brief goodbye to the remaining boys and began to make her way to the exit, relieved to feel to cool air brush against her flushed cheeks, the warmth from inside the cafe falling away in substitute for the soft breeze.