[TWENTY SIX]

She should have just said no

Or at the very least, pretended to not see his message. She knew what she should have done, and even as she grumbled a slur of swears beneath her breath whilst shrugging on her jacket, she knew this was a poor decision, even by her standards.

And yet, here she was. Willing to meet a man in the early hours of the morning because of a simple text.

I want you.

She felt her chest tighten as she reread the message, eyebrows drawing upwards. Her? For what?

By the time Jungkook had replied, Sooyoung was already outside

By the time Jungkook had replied, Sooyoung was already outside. The park he was referring to wasn't far from her home, but as far as she could recall, Jimin said they were spending their night down town, which just so happened to be miles away from her home.

Did he walk all the way this way?

Reaching the park, despite the inky lighting, Sooyoung quickly spotted her companion on the swing set, slumped slightly against one of the chains, his head tilted upwards towards the sky with a somewhat content expression on his face. It wasn't often Sooyoung found herself truly marveling at Jungkook's appearance, but the way he was that night; his cheeks slightly rosy from the alcohol and the glint of the universe in his eyes, she found herself holding her breath.

"Jeon?" She called to him, her voice breaking the soothing silence, as well as the peace on Jungkokk's expression.

His brows rose as his eyes widened, a lopsided grin tugging on his lips as he held the swing chains a little tighter, "Sooyoung, you came."

She did, though she had no idea as to why.

She thought maybe it was pity that brought her there. Sympathy towards his family circumstances and the helplessness he felt, but that wasn't it. He didn't need her pity, and she knew that.

Signing, she took a seat beside him and together, they stayed silent for a while, simply staring up at the few stars the light pollution allowed them to see.

"I've sobered up since my last message to you," Jungkook laughed somewhat awkwardly, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"What part?"

Jungkook pursed his lips and kneaded his brows together, turning his attention back to the sky as he began to swing slightly, the soles of his shoes scuffing against the loose dirt, "You know, I watched this foreign movie not so long ago, and they talk about how stars make everything feel smaller than it really is, and I think that's true."

Sooyoing stared at his quizzically before following his gaze up to the onyx canvas above her, dusted with freckles of stars.

"I come here all the time when I'm feeling stressed or confused," Jungkook confessed, not dropping his gaze from the sky, "I just sit here for hours sometimes, staring up at the stars because they're the only things that make my problems feel small. Well, they're one of the only things," He smiled softly, side-eyeing Sooyoung's profile, "Sex helps too."

The girl's eyes widened as her jaw fell slack, her attention snapping towards the male who sat beside her. Lifting her hand, she hit his shoulder lightly, "You're so shameless," despite her words, there was an undertone of affection in her voice.

"Yeah, I guess I am." He chuckled, halting his movements as he kept his eyes on her, "So, how was your date?"

Her shoulders tensed and her heart suddenly felt heavy. The words she wanted to say caught in her throat and she frowned. Her date was fun, but there was something... off about, although she wasn't about to tell her competitor that, "It was good— great even. Min Yoongi is a really great guy."

It was true, Yoongi was everything she had imagined him to be, so why was she lying?

Jungkook's head dipped as he nodded, "That's good."

"What about Sohye? How are things there?" Sooyoung asked, trying to break the sudden tension in the silence.

"They're good. She's also great," He lied through gritted teeth, before sighing, "Why did you come meet me, Sooyoing? I mean, it's late and I'm tipsy, as well as a whore as you've called me. Why did you meet me?"

She'd like to know the answer to that, too.

"Just because I think you're a whore doesn't mean I don't trust you," Sooyoung scoffed, kicking her feet childishly, "I know you wouldn't do anything without my permission, because I'd kick you in the nuts before you could."

Jungkook winced, "Good point," He mumbled, "But that doesn't answer my question, why did you come?"

Another silence fell between the before Sooyoung rubbed a hand down her face, "Truthfully, I don't know. I just came. You sounded like you needed company, and I've already told you before, I'm here for you."

He felt stupid now. Absolutely ridiculous. How was he supposed to look this girl in the eye, a girl who seemingly respected him enough to care about his wellbeing, after his initial intentions?

He felt foolish.

How could he do that to Sooyoung? After everything she had done for him, how could he just assume that sleeping with her would make things better? If anything, with the way his heart hammered in his chest, doing anything with her would only make this feeling worse.

Clearing his throat, Jungkook stood up, stretching his arms above his head with an over-dramatic yawn, "The sun will be rising soon, come on, I'll walk you home."