36 - goodbye

A/N: YA'LL AREN'T READYYY FOR THE ENDDIINNNGGG!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT THROUGHOUT THIS BOOK!!!! ENJOY!!! :)))))))

11/27/19

Finneas's POV:

"Lilith's PET scan came back and from the test results - well - Lilith isn't in good shape as we speak," Dr. Phillps says upsettingly. My heart sinks. "From the results, we got back, Lilith sustained a traumatic brain injury, or in short, a TBI. From the scans, her brain slowly started to swell after the incident she was in, and after hours, before you could call 911, the swelling slowly got worse. This is just from my hypothesis though so I wouldn't rely on it." Dr. Phillips explains before looking at Lilith. "Luckily, there were no signs of bleeding in her brain or any excess fluid from the swelling, but I'm afraid that's not the full diagnosis," He explains before looking at me and Jake. He sighs before finishing.

"Lilith is currently in a coma. We don't know for how long she'll be in this state and what the damage will be if she wakes up, but all we can hope for is some movement, whether it be arm or leg, or eye movement. Responsiveness is also a crucial improvement." Dr. Phillips says, finalizing his diagnosis.

When he finished explaining, it honestly felt like time stopped. As if everything stopped. I was in a daze, I couldn't comprehend what I was hearing, and I was having a hard time understanding it. The what if's were swarming my head. What could I have done to prevent this? What if I didn't leave Ava and Lilith to defend themselves from Desmond? What if I was there to prevent her injury? What if I was there so that Ava and Lilith would still be okay? The should've's soonly cluttered my head. I should've stayed. I should've protected them. I should've been there to help them. Why? Why didn't I?

"I'm sorry, I never hope to give this type of news, but I promise the nurses and I will do everything in our power to try to help her gain awareness and consciousness." Dr. Phillips expresses genuinely.

I still couldn't believe the diagnosis, so I couldn't respond. I didn't know what to say, I was speechless.

"Uh, Thank you, Doctor, genuinely," Jake says suddenly. Dr. Phillips nods slightly as he softly smiles.

"I'll give you two some space," Dr. Phillips says as he exits the room.

"Finneas?" Jake calls me. I slowly turn my head to him, not saying a word.

"Are you okay?" He asks me worriedly. I turn my head away from him and shake my head.

"No. No, I'm not," I say as I get up. "It's getting late, and I still have to explain everything to Billie so, I'm going to head out," I say as I look at him expressionlessly.

"Okay, I'll update you on everything," Jake says as he gives me my keys.

"I appreciate it," I say as I grab the keys from his hand. "See you tomorrow morning," I say as I start to walk out.

"See ya," He says before I can fully leave the room.

I walk out of the hospital and enter my car, closing the car door after I get in. Afterward, I sit there.

I sit there, for a minute. Letting it finally hit me, and when it does, I explode.

"Fuck!" I shout before hitting my steering wheel, again, again, and again. I sit there breathlessly before I start crying. The crying soon turns into sobbing. I sit there and let it out. For what seemed like hours, which was only mere minutes, I get my shit together and start driving back to my house, preparing what I was going to say to Billie.

As I park in the driveway, I get out and walk up to my door before unlocking it, entering inside. As I walk to the living room, I see Billie sitting on the couch, as if she was waiting for my arrival.