Chapter 12

Anne was ready for her first date. Well, appearance-wise, she was. Mentally, not so much.

   "Stop freaking out." She told the butterflies in her stomach, who paid no attention.

   Thankfully, it was nervous excitement and not a nervous breakdown this time. She bounced up and down to shake the nerves off.

   Her phone vibrated and she eagerly picked it up to read the text.

Gilbert - Here ❤️

She covered her big smile with her hand, even though she was alone and no one else could see.

Then she grabbed her purse and dashed downstairs, almost skipping. She opened the door just as he was about to knock on it.

"Hi." She said breathlessly.

"...Hi." He never failed to be in awe of her beauty.

Anne was wearing a black skater skirt with a denim jacket over an olive green top. And, of course, her converse. A thick white headband pushed back her straightened red hair.

"You look really pretty." He said, blushing.

"So do you." He was wearing a black letterman jacket, a purple t-shirt and dark blue jeans. Black sunglasses were perched on top of his unruly curls.

They stood there for a few seconds, grinning like idiots.

"So..?" Anne raised her eyebrows.

"Oh! Right, we should go." Gilbert snapped back to reality and Anne giggled.

   They walked down the path to the car and got in. Anne turned on the radio as Gilbert started the engine, and a 50's bop was playing.

"Oh, I-" She started to say excitedly.

"Love this song!" He mimicked her playfully.

"Shut up!" She smiled and rolled her eyes.

'Classic Anne move.' He thought as he started driving down the street.

   She could sense him glancing at her as she looked out the window.

   He couldn't help it, she looked so free with her hair blowing in the wind like that. Gilbert almost couldn't believe this was real. Anne Shirley Cuthbert was on a date with him! How-

   "Eyes on the road, Blythe." She said without turning around.

   "Sorry, you're just really pretty!" He said defensively.

   "Are you gonna be this cheesy every date?" Anne turned to face him,  pretending to be annoyed.

      I used to laugh but now I understand, shake the hand of a brand new fool

   "Absolutely." He winked, and looked back at the road.

   Anne blushed, for what felt like the millionth time around him.

   "I'm serious about road safety, though."

   "It's a small town and a quiet day, we'll be fine."

   "My parents died in a car crash."

   Gilbert's face fell in shock.

   "A-Anne, I'm so sorry!" He said frantically.

   "I'm kidding! The look on your face..." She burst out laughing.

    "You are such a jerk." He shook his head, also laughing. "That's messed up!"