Chapter 6

Anne loved studying in the library. It was cozy and warm, and the smell of books was comforting and familiar. She felt safe surrounded by books, like the shelves were castle walls guarding her from any danger that might be in the outside world. Her view out of the window from the wooden table she was sitting at in a corner provided excellent scope for the imagination.

   At that moment however, it was distracting her from her studies. She just couldn't concentrate on something as dull as geometry when there were endless stories begging to be read around her.

   Maybe some music would help. She looked on her phone for the list of recommendations that Gilbert had sent her. They'd been hanging out and texting a lot recently, which she actually enjoyed.

   She put in her Ear buds and played the song 'Only You' by Yazoo. Pretty good. Still, she couldn't focus on her work. She decided to go see if there were any new books in the fantasy section. She was in the mood for escaping to another magical world of exciting adventures.

   The 80's melody still playing in her ears, she got up and navigated her way through the middle shelves. When she got there her eyes scanned the rows of books and she slowly ran her finger over their spines as she browsed.

   Then she stopped near the end of the aisle. A familiar pair of hazel eyes caught her ocean blue ones through the gaps on the other side of the shelf.

   When I see you

   "Gilbert!" She smiled and walked round the corner to him.

   "Anne," He smiled back. He always said her name as if it was the most wonderful thing in the world.

   "Hi."

   "Hi."

   "What are you doing here?" Anne asked curiously.

   "Well, Delphine was crying a lot today and I needed some place quiet to study. I like it here, it's... quite peaceful. What about you?" He asked warmly.

   Mary and Bash had had a baby girl just a few weeks ago. She was very cute and sweet, but needed a lot of attention.

   "Oh, I come here to study all the time. It is very peaceful. I was just taking a break." Anne didn't want him to know that she couldn't concentrate. They still had friendly competition in school, and she was determined to beat him.

   "May I join you?" He asked hopefully.

   "Hmm..." Anne frowned and pretended to think about it. "I suppose so, if you must."

   They laughed quietly together.

   "I'll just go get my stuff." He said, walking backwards and almost tripping over his own feet as he turned around.

  Anne chuckled to herself and waited a few moments before he came back with his backpack and a stack of books.

   "Wow, that's a lot of books, even for me." Said Anne.

   "Well, I am trying to keep up with the smartest student in class." He winked.

   "Oh, shut up." Anne rolled her eyes and smiled, blushing.

   They started to walk over to the table Anne was sitting at, when the teetering tower of books in Gilbert's arms collapsed and fell to the ground.

   They made a loud crashing sound, and Gilbert stood still for a moment, wide eyed in shock. Then he looked around him to see if there were any librarians glaring at him, (there weren't) and he and Anne burst out laughing.

   "The look on your face!" Anne muffled her giggles behind her hand.

   They both bent down to pick up the scattered books on the floor.