Chapter Three

The next day after school, Anne walked into detention a few minutes late, hoping it was a more relaxed teacher today.

It wasn't.

"You're late, Miss Cuthbert!" Mr Jeff said angrily.

"By 3 minutes, it's not that big of a deal." She rolled her eyes and glanced at the classroom. Gilbert was already there, sitting at a desk.

"If you use that disrespectful tone with me again, you will have detention tomorrow as well!" Mr Jeff screeched as she walked over to the desk next to Gilbert and sat down.

Today she was wearing a red sweater with a black pleated skirt and her converse, and her hair was down.

(Kind of like this:)

   Gilbert had seen her earlier that day, but he still wondered at how stunning she always looked

He was wearing a black zipped up hoodie with the sleeves pushed up, with black jeans and his converse.

(A bit like this:)

   Anne thought he looked kind of

Anne thought he looked kind of... cool? Definitely not attractive, they were just friends.

Well, maybe not even that. They'd never actually called each other "friends", but they were in the same friend group, so maybe they were...? Oh no, what if I think we're friends and he totally doesn't?! Maybe he sees me as just a mutual friend or a classmate or a rival, and I'm acting all weird like we are friends! I mean, we have known each other for a long time now... yeah, I'm over thinking this. Think about something else, like... the books I'm reading! Yes, that will do. Okay, so I'm halfway through 'The Book Thief'...

But after a while, her thoughts frustratingly ran back to Gilbert again.

Little did she know, the exact same thing was going on in Gilbert's mind, although he didn't mind it too much. He liked thinking about Anne, but he wasn't quite sure why. It must be because they were such good friends.

When Mr Jeff had fallen asleep (he did that a lot in detention) Gilbert put his ear buds in to listen to some music. The song 'Troublemaker' came on shuffle, and it sort of reminded him of Anne. Her fiery temper had transitioned to a drier sarcasm as she'd matured and gotten older, but she was still a bit of a rebel. And he did seem to think about her a lot.