Chapter 9

I pushed off the ground, steadily standing up. I let out a long sigh, landing a hand to Tanjiro, who knelt before the now disintegrated demon.

"Thank you." He took my hand, and I gave him a smile. We walked inside and I winced as I felt the blood from my wound on my calf pour down my leg.

"Ms. Tamayo? Yushiro?" Tanjiro called out, looking for the two.

"Here. We're down here. It doesn't matter if you come or not." Yushiro called from below us. I guess they're in the basement.

"Yushiro." Tamayo warned him again.

"I'm just kidding!" He quickly yelled, saving himself.

"Come down now you two." Tamayo called from down stairs. We both made our way into the basement, and I sensed all three demons down there.

"Nezuko!" Tanjiro hugged his sister as she ran towards him. To my surprise, the girl reached out, and pet my head. I smiled softly, and Nezuko hummed in delight.

"Before the sun comes up, we moved to this basement where we won't be exposed to sunlight." Tamayo explained, and Nezuko suddenly ran towards her and Yushiro.

"Nezuko?" Tanjiro called out, and the girl wrapped her arms around Tamayo in a hug.

"Stay away from Lady Tamayo! You're too disrespectful!" Yushiro freaked out, and I let out a small laugh.

"Stop that, Yushiro. It's fine." Tamayo scolded the boy again.

"Yes!" He quickly replied, following the woman's orders. I sensed Nezuko reach out towards Yushiro, and I assumed that she was petting his head similar to the way she pets mine.

"Stop that!" He screamed, but she didn't stop.

"Ever since just now, Nezuko has been in this state. Is she okay?" Tamayo asked, and Tanjiro walked towards them.

"Don't worry about her. She's fine. I think she takes you two as family members." Tanjiro replied, and I walked over to them too.

"Stop it!" Yushiro yelled again.

"Family? But the hint planted inside Nezuko was treating humans as family. We're demons though." Tamayo stated.

"Stop it!"

"But Nezuko determined that you two are humans, so she wants to protect you two. I don't like the fact that Nezuko has the hint. Thank goodness, she still has her own consciousness." Tanjiro chuckled softly, and I heard Tamayo's breath shake.

"I'm sorry!" Tanjiro suddenly exclaimed, startling me. "Nezuko! Nezuko! Let go now! It's disrespectful!"

"Thank you, Nezuko. Thank you." Tamayo spoke softly.

"Is she... crying?" I whispered to Tanjiro.

"Yes! Because of Nezuko!" He replied, still uneasy about Nezuko making the woman cry.

Once Nezuko let go of Tamayo, and she regained her composure, she started speaking again.

"We need to leave this place. This place is too near to Kibutsuji. If we don't hide quickly, we'll be in danger. Even if we try to hide, I'll be in contact with many people as a doctor. Inevitably, they'll find out I'm a demon. Especially, the children and older people who are more perceptive." She explained, and I nodded in understanding.