Chapter 12

I sighed as I helped bury the body that had flown out the window before we entered the house. Inosuke was still unconscious, and was lying on the ground not too far away.

Tanjiro's haori was under his head, and Zenitsu's was draped over him like a blanket. The little girl had taken my haori, and slipped it onto Inosuke to keep him warm.

He suddenly screamed, making me jump. He shot up, Zenitsu's haori flying off of him. However, he didn't seem to notice mine as he wore it.

"He's awake!" Zenitsu gasped as I dumped more dirt on the grave.

"Is he alright?" I asked, wiping my hands down on my pants.

"Hey! Let's fight!" Inosuke screamed, and started running in my direction.

"Huh?! No!" I yelled, darting away from him. He only chased after me.

"Come on! Fight me!" He begged, and I frantically shook my head.

"I said no! Please calm down!" I pleaded, but he only growled loudly in response.

"He's like a rabid animal!" Zenitsu shuttered, and Inosuke stopped.

"Fight me!" He yelled, charging after Zenitsu instead.

"I can't believe this is what he acts like after waking up!" Zenitsu screamed, running away from the boy. He quickly hid behind the little girl, and I sighed.

He suddenly stopped again, and I assumed he was looking at our grave.

"What are you guys doing?! Tell me!" He demanded, and I walked back over to the grave.

"We're having a burial." Tanjiro replied, setting down a stone.

"A burial?!" He repeated.

"Yes, and you should come help out too. The fact of the matter is that lives were lost on there." Tanjiro explained, and I continued placing stones around the grave.

"What's the point of putting dead things in the ground?" He bluntly asked, and I almost dropped the stone.

"It helps bring closure." I replied.

"Huh? Closure?" He grunted, and I sighed.

"I won't do it! I won't help! Leave it! Come and fight with me!" He screamed, and I frowned. I ignored him, and continued on the grave.

"Don't ignore me!" He screamed, and charged at me. I stepped out of the way, and he stumbled a bit.

"Hey, you! Let's finish our fight!" He yelled, and by the way I heard his voice, he was facing away from me. He must be talking to Tanjiro.

"No! I want you to help on the burial." Tanjiro stated, and Inosuke fumed.

"I refuse! I don't want to help, I want to fight!" He shouted.

"I see. You can't help because you're in too much pain." Tanjiro spoke, causing me to perk up. Oh. I see what he's doing.

"He's right, Inosuke. Why don't you sit down and get some rest." I stated, and he froze. I heard his breaths become ragged as his anger bubbled up within him.

"No, it's okay. Everyone's pain tolerance is different after all. Moving the dead people outside, digging, and burying them can be really tiring. I'll work hard with Zenitsu, Kazumi, and the children. Don't worry." Tanjiro reassured the boy.

"I'm sorry that we pushed you too hard." I bowed before him as an apology. "We may have asked too much from you."

He suddenly exploded, and screamed at the top of his lungs.