Chapter 2- Battle of the Brains

"Students, I hope you have been taking diligent notes through the entirety of this review. I highly suggest a lengthy study session this evening to best prepare yourselves for the final tomorrow. This final is crucial for some of you in determining whether you can graduate next Monday or repeat senior year." Edd spoke sternly to the entire class, taking an extra long moment to look at Katie Barr on that last part.

Another eyeroll as she was clearly scrolling through VSCO on her phone she held above her desk. He let out an exasperated sigh.

"Ms. Barr, perhaps it's time to put away your phone and take a little more interest in the natural beauty of our vast universe than the overly filtered photos of you and your friends doing illegal activities during last weekends basement party?" he stated calmly, folding his hands together. The room was shocked into silence. Teachers weren't usually so forthcoming about knowing that kind of information. The students could tell their teacher was teetering on the edge of a melt down that had been building since September.

Katie did not look up from her phone. She instead switched from scrolling with her thumb to her middle finger, taking an extra moment in between each swipe to lift it slightly in Mr. Parkin's direction.

That was it. Edd was taking no more of this disrespect.

Raising his voice slightly, he remained strong and still eerily calm, "Alright, Ms. Barr. You may remove yourself from my classroom this instance. Head immediately to the office to pick up your slip for a three day detention."

The class gasped. Students rarely received weekend detention, especially this close to the end of the school year.

"Yeah right, like I'm going to let some little bitch teacher ruin my weekend." She laughed to herself, still scrolling through her phone.
The eyes of the entire class kept darting between Mr. Parkin and Katie.

Edd slowly walked over to her desk, looming above the redhead with a cool intensity more frightening than if he had been visibly steaming mad. "I will not repeat myself, Ms. Barr."

Katie looked up into Edd's dark eyes, she let a smirk cross her face. "Good. Then we're clear here, Dick." She batted her lashes and flipped him off one last time.

"Alright," still calm as he turned back to walk to his desk, "make that a full weeks detention. Which unfortunately means you'll have to miss our final tomorrow. Great news is that you will be extra prepared when you take it next May." He sat at his desk, with an empty smile and peered deeply through his glasses at her.

You could hear a pencil drop in the room. In fact, someone literally dropped a pencil out of pure shock from this whole scene.
No one moved, the students were too afraid to breathe.
Mr. Parkin had just doomed the fate of the most popular girl in the school.

Katie shot up and slammed her hands on the desk, "That is so unfair. You can't pull this shit right before graduation! Like some nerd is going to stop me from going to Navarro. What the hell, man!"

Edd was now organizing the papers on his desk. Without bothering to look up at her, "Please do continue speaking. You're working your way towards a suspension for the remainder of the school year, Ms. Barr."

And with that, the bell rang signaling the end of 6th period. The entire class booked it out of the classroom as quickly as they could, ushering Katie out with them before she could talk herself in any deeper.

The rest of the school day went as it usually would. His small class for 7th period contained all of his best behaved and highest GPA students, and was, as always, a pleasure to teach.
Following the final bell signaling the end of the school day, Edd had dropped off the needed paperwork in the office for Katie Barr's week long detention and notice of a missing grade for her final.

He made his way back to his classroom.
He always spent a few hours in there decompressing after school. He would grade assignments and papers, prepare the following weeks lesson plans, straighten out and sanitize throughout the room, and enjoy a light dinner while analyzing outdated techniques on old episodes of Forensic Files.

Tonight was different. He just simply did not have the mental energy to be in this building much longer. He gathered up his things, did a quick clean of the room, and headed home to his apartment in the city just outside of Peach Creek.

Tomorrow would be a fresh start. Friday finals and no Katie Barr.
Edd ran a warm bubble bath and melted into it, clutching a cup of freshly brewed loose leaf tea and a book on new psyche theories. Determined to not let this stubborn teenager ruin what was otherwise a decent day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following day was business as usual. His first three period classes did not have their finals until Monday, so they spent their time reviewing and preparing.

The 4th period lunch bell rang out at 11:10 and he happily bid a good day to his 3rd period Forensics class as they left for the cafeteria. This was also his lunch period and he enjoyed spending it inside his classroom. It was a welcome quiet moment to himself. He could consume his lunch and catch up on the latest news from his alma mater in Massachusetts.

Today would not be so peaceful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unbeknownst to Edd, Katie worked quickly. She contacted the best person she knew to handle the situation she had gotten herself into. Katie texted her older brother Kevin during 7th period the previous day. Explaining the totally unfair and unprompted bullying she received from her Astronomy teacher and how he was like totally screwing up her chance to graduate.

No one messed with his baby sister. As soon as Kevin finished his coaching for the football team at St. Daniel's Academy, the private school in the rich part of Peach Creek, he raced back to his childhood home on his motorcycle to find out all the details from Katie. He would teach this hot shot teacher a lesson on how the Barr's deserved to be treated. After all, he was Peach Creek High royalty back in the day and his baby sister was like his little legacy. How could some lame-o teacher ever do something so cruel to his sweet, shy, little sister?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevin burst through the front doors of his old high school that Friday afternoon. His eyes filled with rage. The bulky redhead grabbed onto the front of the nearest nerdy looking kid's shirt and pulled him up to meet eye to eye.
"Where's Mr. Parkin's room?" He practically spat into this poor sophomores face.
"Sc-sc-sc-science wing. To the r-r-right of the nurses o-office. S-s-second door on the left."
And with that, Kevin tossed the poor kid back down and took off towards Edd's classroom.

Just as Edd was about to place another piece of his spicy tuna roll into his mouth, his classroom door slammed open.

"What the hell is your problem, Double Dweeb?!"