Chapter 4- Graduation & Coffee

Graduation day at Peach Creek High School had come and Edd was filled with nervous anticipation. It was his first one back at this school since his own 10 years ago.

Memories of that day kept flashing back to him.
His Valedictorian speech that he wrote and rewrote countless times, forcing his best friends Ed and Eddy to listen to each version to find the perfect tone.
His mother sitting up in the bleachers excitedly snapping photo after photo and waving little Harvard flags as she sat next to his father who was beaming with pride, nicely dressed in crimson and black.
Kevin showing up in his signature red baseball cap and black sunglasses instead of the men's mandatory blue graduation cap.
The way Ed's parents cried throughout the entire ceremony because they, amongst the entire Cul-de-sac, couldn't believe Ed was actually able to graduate. With much thanks to Edd's assistance, of course.
And the final post graduation camp out party at Nazz's house that evening. The one where Edd almost professed his true feelings for Kevin during a private moonlit moment by the fire after all but Kevin had retired to their tents for the night.

Edd shuddered at the memories and pushed it to the back of his mind as he entered the school's indoor basketball court. Adjusting his dark blue bowtie, and straightening out the sleeves of his caramel blazer that covered his white and maroon striped button up, he glanced around the room.

Blue and peach streamers and balloons decorated the large arena. Banners displaying "Congratulations to the Class of '21" and "Cobbler Nation Forever" were hung overtop of the scoreboards and across the railings of the bleachers. Proud families were happily chatting all throughout the room, awaiting the moment to cheer for their graduate.
Edd found an empty seat in the teachers section, as most of the head faculty were in the locker room prepping the graduates on their entrance.

He started glancing through Facebook on his phone to keep himself distracted from the strangers around him. He came across a photo of Rolf and his wife Olga, holding their newborn son outside on their farm deep in the countryside of Peach Creek. Edd smiled and continued to scroll down, pausing on a photo of Jimmy and his long term boyfriend Tom on vacation in Hawaii. He sighed. He was proud of Jimmy for being so open about his life and the two looked so happy.
He began to scroll again and finally stopped on the Facebook memories post. It was from 10 years ago at his own graduation. A happy photo of himself, Ed, and Eddy, arms draped over one another in their matching blue graduation gowns. The biggest toothy smiles plastered on their faces. A moment of pure and genuine joy. A sea of students in the same attire of blue and peach gowns behind them, all hugging and celebrating with their families. Hats tossed in the air, forever frozen in time.
How simple things were.

Edd was startled out of his reminiscing by the man plopping down in the seat beside him.
"Happy graduation day, dork."
Edd looked over, shocked to see Kevin Barr who was nicely dressed in a dark green button up, black slacks, and no hat.

"K-Kevin, what are you-"

"Oh right, yeah. See, after our little chat last week, I decided to make my way over to the principal's office and get everything straightened out. Katie may have had detention all week, but they are excusing her missing credit and letting her graduate with her class today." Kevin beamed a sly, bright white smile at the stunned man beside him. "I couldn't just let some nerdy teacher ruin her grad party or senior week plans."

Edd blinked.
Of course, how could he think the proper punishments could ever be taken on a popular athlete at this school? He forgot how unfair and unrealistic the public school system could be. He adjusted his glasses.
All he could manage to squeak out was "I see."

"Don't sweat it though, kid. Working with high schoolers myself, I totally get how you can fall back into petty moods, ya know. I won't hold it against you." Kevin just kept looking ahead at the built stage set up for the graduates to walk across to receive their diplomas. He was slouching back into his chair and looked too cheery for this conversation.
"Well, it was great talking to ya again. I gotta go back to the fam. My bro Kyle and his kids made these signs for Katie and we brought a bunch of noise makers, so we've gotta set that up before this thing starts."
'Of course they brought noise makers to a noise free ceremony' Edd thought to himself. No one in this family had any respect for rules.