△⃒⃘ At Long Last △⃒⃘

Ok 1) I'm alive (?), and 2) HOLY SHIT I MISSED Y'ALL!! I probably had an idea when I started writing this in MAY OF 2021 😭 but whatever it was believe me it's not there anymore. I'm 99% sure this is my longest oneshot to date! Warning you now, this only gets even remotely couple-y at the very end but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless :) also I think this is the first ever mention of Deamus in any of my oneshots which is a travesty!! Anyway, sit back, relax, and enjoy this... whatever it is. ALSO HOLY SHIT 328K READS? WITH 6.45K VOTES? y'all are so horny THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU ALL
AU: Dead Voldy ig?
8141 words

As soon as the sixth-years set foot on Hogwarts grounds, their excited buzz was met by Professor McGonnagal and Professor Snape. The former was tight-lipped as usual, a proud red Gryffindor lion pin on her emerald green robe. The younger professor stood beside her, long-faced, expression resigned.

"Students," McGonnagal began, commanding silence. "As you know, it is time for your re-sorting. Now, I assure you, there is nothing for you to worry about. The last time a student was sorted into a house different from the one they had been assigned in their first year was over 300 years ago."

The students followed their professors through the castle to a previously unknown room. There were bean bags, armchairs, and a few sofas strewn about, with an archway leading off to bathrooms and a single wooden door, presumably concealing another room.

"We will call you one by one, the sorting will be done individually," Snape droned monotonously. "Seat yourselves and wait. When you leave the sorting, take your house's tie from one of the baskets."

There were, in fact, four baskets stood on a table in the centre of the room, filled with striped, colourful ties.

The pupils complied, throwing themselves into conversation. Harry took this opportunity to take a closer look at his classmates. Hermione and Parvati were seemingly having some heated debate. Dean, Seamus and Neville discussed the latest Firebolt. Lavender was talking excitedly to Malfoy. Ron an—

Wait, Malfoy?

Harry stopped, a little surprised. Since when were those two friends? He took a closer look at Draco, and was inexplicably frustrated. He had gone through yet another growth spurt, and now easily reached over 6 feet tall. His hair wasn't straight anymore (and, coincidentally, neither was Harry), he'd become less pale, and he looked overall happier, save for the impressive dark circles under his eyes.

Lavender came over to the large group of Gryffindors, leaving Draco with Blaise and Pansy.

Dean beat Harry to the question. "What's up with you and Malfoy?" He asked, earning a murmur of agreement.

Surprisingly, Seamus piped up. "Oh, we were out in Diagon Alley and met him in that little arts supply shop—of all places! We started talking to him, and it turns out—"

"—The guy's suuch a nerd," Lavender finished. "In a good way, don't get me wrong, but you really wouldn't expect it, right?"

"So we kept talking to him, really ended up bonding, and so... guess we're friends now?"

The conversation continued as names were called one by one. No one had been sorted into a new house, so people didn't bother to ask. Harry had taken a couple of minutes longer than the others - as did Hermione - but they were both ultimately confirmed to be Gryffindors.

However, a tense murmur filled the room after a while. Draco had gone in 8 minutes ago.

Some started to time, glancing at their watches. Others partook in discussions on wether or not he would be resorted, and what house he could possibly be placed into if he was.