△⃒⃘ Potions △⃒⃘

1430 words
"Mr. Malfoy, detention!"
Draco stared at Snape in awe. Sure, he was passing notes, and yes, he did talk back to him, but still! This is potions, he could pass with flying colours even if he were blindfolded. He sank into his chair as Snape continued to write the directions for making Draught of Peace on the blackboard.

"About time," he heard Harry say.
"What was that supposed to mean?" Draco whispered, obviously offended.
Harry stopped writing and turned so him. "You're the teacher's pet, and you always get cocky about it. It's about time somebody checked your ego, it's getting out of hand."
"My ego, Potter, is just fine. If anything, yours is just that fragile."
"What are you implying?" Harry asked, already beginning to fume.
Draco smirked. He enjoyed messing with Harry in every way he could think of, and he thought he had found a weak spot. "Nothing much."
"Great. Got anything else to say?"
"... compensating?"

Harry was about to retaliate, when Snape turned to face him. "Mr. Potter, your grades aren't high enough for you to be talking instead of taking notes in my class. Detention."
Harry stared at him, dumbfounded and still angry at Draco. "This is all your fault." He whispered, picking up his quill.
"Sure, because you compensating is my fault."
"Fuck. Off."
"Aww, is Potter trying to be intimidating? Adorable." Draco sneered. He was only half joking, but Harry didn't need to know that.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"You and Potter honestly need to knock it off." Blaise started, walking out of potions with Draco.
"Stop what?" Draco asked, genuinely confused.
"The weird, passive-aggressive innuendo flirting. It's getting on everyone's nerves."
"Oh, that," Draco replied, getting increasingly uncomfortable with this conversation. "No can do. Blaise, you've known me long enough. I don't like feelings. So, instead of acknowledging the fact that they are unreciprocated, I make fun of the person until I convince myself I don't like them anymore. Seriously, get with the programme!"
"Mhm, and how's that working out with Golden Boy?"
Draco's cheeks tinted pink. "It's not."
"So why bother?"
Draco started at Blaise as if he were a madman. "Do you have a better plan, then?"

"Just ask him out already."

"Zabini," Draco began slowly. "What part of 'unreciprocated' do you not understand?"
"Believe what you will, but he stares at you an awful lot for someone who isn't interested, that's all I'm saying."
Draco paused, but quickly found another counterpoint to Blaise's annoyingly valid suggestion. "Even if I were to ask him out, when would I do it? It's not like I'm going to stroll up to him when someone else is there, and he's always surrounded by people."
"Draco, are you actually daft or something? You have two hours of detention with him tonight."
"Nonsense. I am not asking him out, and that's final. I'd rather stew in my emotions than face that humiliation." Draco snapped, annoyed at the fact that he was actually considering his friend's plan.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"Ah, Mr. Potter, you're on time. For once."
Harry had to visibly stop himself from rolling his eyes. He walked over to the desk and threw himself onto a chair.

Draco, on the other hand, was too nervous to sit in a chair, and opted to stand. Surprisingly, he decided to go through with Blaise's plan. But only because he had come up with the perfect execution for it.

"Since you both decided that your personal conversations were more important than my class, you will be brewing Draught of Peace. You should have just about enough enough time to brew the potion and let it rest. I am required in the hospital wing tonight, so I will not be here. By the time I come back, you should have a potion so good I can gift it to Madam Pomfrey!"
With that, Snape left the room, his cloak swooshing behind him.

"We're fucked," Harry stated.
"Not this time," Draco replied, taking out his Potions textbook. "Luckily, this is one of the potions I'm familiar with." He set the book down on the desk. "Right, you get the ingredients, and I'll find the tools."
Harry went over to the ingredients cupboard. Something was off with Draco; his shoulders were tense, he wouldn't look Harry in the eyes, and he hadn't yet made a single snarky comment. The only thing Harry was saddened by was the fact that he hadn't done the thing.
Usually, Harry and Draco would talk at least a little. This mostly consisted of insults and innuendos; maybe Harry was just being hopeful and imagining things, but he could swear there was always a flirty subtext. But he shook it off - after all, why would Draco, a.k.a. his enemy as well as crush of two years, be flirting with him?

Draco came back to the table, to see Harry was still taking the ingredients out. He looks so cute when he's concentrating, Draco thought to himself.
Once Harry had come back to the table, Draco took a deep breath. Now or never, he thought. "So, let's check what you've got."
"Alright."
"I'll say what's on my checklist, and you just say yes or no."
"I get how it works, no need to explain."
"Powdered moonstone?"
"Yes."
"Unicorn horn?"
"Yes."
"Porcupine quills?"
"Yes."
"Any plans Friday night?"

Harry stared a moment. "What?"
Draco immediately got a sinking feeling in his stomach. This was a bad idea! But he was in too deep now, and didn't back out. "Have you got any plans this Friday night?"
"N-No," Harry stammered, and Draco could see him blush slightly.
"How would you like to change that? Maybe come to The Three Broomsticks with me?" Draco held his breath.
Harry looked shocked, but snapped out of it a few seconds later. "Oh, uhm, uh, yeah - yeah, I-I'd like that."
"O-Ok, then. Cool. Great," Draco allowed himself to relax. "So... let's get brewing then."

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Draco looked over at Harry, who was busy with the boiled unicorn horn. "Wait, Harry, you're slicing wrong."
Harry immediately froze. "Since when do you call me Harry?"
"Oh, uh... dunno, I guess," Draco faltered.
He looked into Harry's eyes. Bright, shining green eyes. They were absolutely hypnotising. He had to try hard not to let his jaw drop.
Harry was the one to break the silence. "Well okay, Draco-" Draco's heart leapt at that, "-then how do I do it correctly?"
Draco hesitated before moving towards Harry, and putting his hands over those of the raven-haired boy. He would be lying if he said it wasn't just a ploy to hug the Gryffindor. "So, first of all, always slice from the base to the tip - it makes a clean cut. Secondly, it has to be one swift movement. Like this," he gripped Harry's hand tighter and demonstrated the movement. He could see goosebumps go up the smaller boy's arms.

They stayed like that for a while because neither of them wanted to let go. Draco kept guiding Harry's hand through the movement until they'd finished slicing the unicorn horn. Reluctantly, Draco let go of Harry. "There, like that."
"Thanks," Harry answered, with a little remorse in his tone.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Snape took a vial of the potion and studied it closely. After seemingly hours, he put it down. "Very well. You have managed not to mess it up. However, my point still stands. If you mess around in my class again, you will be spending detention in Professor McGonnagal's office. Now, out."

The boys grabbed their bags and left the classroom. Draco began to walk away, but was stopped abruptly. "Draco, wait," Harry laid a hand on his shoulder and turned him around. "What you said about Friday night..."
"Yes?"
"Were you serious?"
"Of course I was," Draco replied immediately. He looked at the other boy's distrustful face, and felt a pang of guilt and pain in his chest. Sighing, he took Harry's hand into his own. "Look, Harry, I like you. A lot. I have for a while now. I'm really sorry for doing things that have made you doubt my sincerity, but I'm being one hundred percent honest. Would you be able to forgive me for being an insufferable git, and give me a second chance?"
Harry was on the verge of tears, and Draco thought that he would just leave. But he didn't. Instead, Harry chuckled a little and hugged Draco. "Of course I can, silly," he mumbled into the blond's chest. They stayed there for a few minutes before hesitantly pulling apart.

"I'll see you around, Scarhead."
"See you, Ferret."