Chapter Seventeen: Tango

Victoria's POV
I counted the cash in my purse one more time. I have enough to get me home. I didn't expect to stay in Paris for this long. I'm finally leaving now that nothing is changing. I turned on the radio to listen to the morning news as I packed my things. It's a bunch of political nonsense so I signed out to busy myself further. As I was humming, I saw people gathered outside around a news stand fighting for the papers. I laughed to myself. Why would anyone fight for a newspaper?

Seconds later that question was answered. I even say down to listen.

"....an explosive device or is it a failure with the car? All we know is that the son of a Baron fiery end yesterday when his car went up in flames right here in Paris! We are talking about Pascal i for those of you who are just tuning in?"

I gasped at the news. I want to go grab a newspaper for more details. But what about my daughter? This has Armour Deveraux written all over! She is on a revenge spree and my daughter could be next!

I haven't had any peace since she said she has something that belongs to me!

I immediately searched for the number to the Chateau. I called it with haste. A servant picked up. "Bonjour!"

"Who cares? Put Vivienne on the phone!"

"Who is this? I just can't put madam-"

"I am her mother! Bloody hell! Put her on the bloody phone or I will reach and strangle you!" I balled my fists.

She hanged up.

I called again.

"Bonjour!" Same voice. I have to try a different approach.

"Hello, good morning!"

"How can I help you?"

"I'm Victoria Byrne. I want to speak to my daughter, Vivienne Byrne. Can you kindly arrange that?"

"Oui! Right away! Please hold." It was quite some time before she came back. "I'm sorry mademoiselle. It seems she is indisposed."

"Indisposed?" I questioned. "What is wrong with her?"

"The Little baby in her is giving her a hard time it seems. Can you call back later in the afternoon?"

That's a whole four hours! A lot can happen in that time.

"Alright, thank you."

I closed my eyes for a moment. I never thought I would see the day my daughter bill be pregnant. What kind of a mother will she even make?

I packed up everything and made my way out. It looks like I'm going to Marseille.

Vivienne's POV
"No more corsets for you!" Fiona noted.

She has puffy red eyes. She was fond of the old man. I also liked him. He was nice to me regardless of the circumstances that Henrik and I are in.

I ran my hand over my stomach thinking of what she has just said. My little one is alive with intent in there. I'm weak if not being able to get out of bed is anything to go by. It's a struggle to keep anything down. I'm on a bread and water diet. Oil and sugar disgust me. "It's starting to show." I stood sideways looking at the large mirror. Right?"

"Right." She smiled fleetingly. Henrik and I made something. "You two will still leave, right?"

"I'm not sure. He hasn't spoken in days. He is lost in his own head. I think it will be good for us to leave. I don't want to be here any longer with the wicked duchess in the neighborhood. We have to protect our baby."