Chapter Twenty Six: Fix Themselves...

Henrik's POV
It's all over the news. Scarlett Monáe -the woman who has played a part in several murders in the last couple of days and held me hostage- is dead. I wouldn't call it karma but calculated revenge. Francis not only exposed her for murdering close to a dozen people but he made sure he looked like the victim.

A husband whose heart was broken when his wife cheated.

A grieving widower who wanted nothing but 'justice' for the cruel murder of his wife.

A hero in the eyes of those who lost someone on the night many are referring to as 'the red dance.'

Whole others are watching on in horror, I'm smiling. Someone needed to put her down. I didn't know it would be Francis.

Now there's just one more obstacle... Armor Deveraux.

Her partner in crime is gone. She's not coming back. These two have been friends for as long as I can remember. Scarlett was a maid in the Chateau. She was the prettiest one. I took note of her on several occasions and I believe that if she stayed any longer maybe something would have grown between us. I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

It's Armor who made the introduction between the maid and the college professor. Armor fostered her graduation from being a servant to a wife of a respectable man. Well not so respectable if he carried out an affair with a married woman but still! It's quite an elevation in status. Armor owned Scarlett and has used her to carry out a series of dark deeds for her. She's no more and that puts a smile on my face.

I waited patiently in front of the quaint little café sipping my tea in silence. I am occasionally glancing at my watch to make sure I am not late. Theo and I are going to Peru. Our fears that Vivi was among the casualties were eased when Chen called to let him know his mother is alright. She has invited us to see her. I am disappointed to know that Zeke is alive. I sincerely thought I have a shot with Vivi.

Pierre Deveraux showed up in time as he had promised. Since my return I have been trying to find a way to get my revenge. At first I wanted to do what Francis has done. An execution. But I am nothing like my friend. It's not in his nature either but clearly he snapped. When Pierre reached out, I decided to indulge him.

"I must say Monsieur Sinclair, when I heard you were alive, I was surprised." He extended his hand to me. "My name is Pierre Deveraux. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"No one stays dead these days." I remarked folding my newspaper. Zeke certainly didn't. I observed the young man taking a seat in front of me. He holds a little resemblance to Aria. "I know this comes a little too late but accept my condolences for your mother's death."

"Did you know my mother?"

"Yes I did. Since childhood."

"Do you know the circumstances surrounding her death?"

"No I don't."

He looked around cautiously before getting a little closer by leaning forward on the table. "It wasn't a suicide. The duchess had my mother murdered. I was just a boy then and I didn't understand what was happening. But I thought about it often especially when I began to understand that she had a terrible relationship with the duchess. She kept a journal. Shortly after her death I found it. She kept a detailed journal about how she ended up in the asylum. She also mentioned Vivienne, her friend and also the twin who took your place."

"Does the duchess know?"

"No she doesn't. I have kept the information to myself for fear that I will end up like my mother."

"Scarlett Monáe is dead."

He does not appear to be moved even in the least bit. His dark brown eyes narrowed just enough to make feel like I am looking at Armor. "I know."