Chapter 5

(Y/N) was slowly strolling around the room when a particularly beautiful painting caught her eye. She headed towards the back of the gallery to take a better look at it. It was approximately three meters wide and almost as tall. It depicted waterfalls glistening in the sun, their turquoise water flowing into a river across a grassy plain covered with flowers. The beauty of the scene took her breath away. She was completely absorbed by the painting and some of her own memories. So much, actually, that she didn't notice the Grand Admiral walking up to her. He stopped beside the young woman and waited, choosing to quietly admire the painting.

"The artist is quite talented." He said after a short moment, trying not to startle her.

"Yes, she truly is. She even managed to render the sunlight catching in the waterfalls' mist." (Y/N)'s shoulders raised in surprise when she realized that Thrawn was standing right next to her.

She looked him up and down rapidly and noticed he was not wearing his white uniform. He was dressed simply and elegantly, with black pants and a black vest on top of a navy blue tunic. The colour complimented his blue skin perfectly and honestly made him look rather handsome. He caught her stare and spoke before she could say anything.

"Anonymity is sometimes a welcome change. Taking off the imperial uniform helps with avoiding most of the inquisitive stares." he explained calmly. He shifted his gaze back at the painting and she did the same. "I noticed the exhibit is a collection of Naboo artworks. A very tastefully curated selection, if I dare say."

"I agree. The critics were right in that column, it really transports you back there. This painting in particular might be my favorite. The only things missing are the sound of the water and the delicate smell of the flowers. If I close my eyes, I can almost feel the wind blowing around me."

"I figure you've been there before, Lieutenant?" He glanced at her, seeming genuinely curious.

"You can just call me (Y/N), Admiral." she trailed off. It felt strange to be addressed by her military rank in such an informal setting.

"Duly noted. My apologies."

"There's no need, sir. To answer your question, my family has a house in the lake country on Naboo. It was my favorite place on the whole planet and this spot wasn't very far. We would spend entire days there, playing in the grass and swimming in the river. It was quite idyllic, if I'm being honest." she recounted.

"Working on an austere warship must be challenging at times, then. You seem quite fond of your homeworld." he guessed.

"I am, but I wouldn't have had the opportunity to serve under your command if I had stayed there. Studying at the Royal Imperial Academy gave me a chance to have a more successful career in the Empire. Although Naboo will always be my home, I also love my job." (Y/N) replied with a hint of nostalgia in her voice.

"I'm glad you feel this way. Your talent has made you a valuable asset on the Chimaera. You're one of the few that can recognize the patterns I'm looking for before I have to intervene and nudge you in the right direction." He slowly backed away from the painting and turned to face the young lieutenant. It was a silent invitation to go and explore the rest of the gallery.

(Y/N) turned away from the wall and started walking alongside Thrawn, her mind still thinking about what he just said. The fluttering sensation she had felt before was coming back, making her heart beat a little faster than usual. Even if he didn't directly say it, she understood it was his way of complimenting her. Considering how being efficient and consistently working to the best of your abilities were some of the qualities he valued most in his crew, she felt honored that he acknowledged her hard work.