Chapter 18

Soon after the whole operation had ended, Thrawn had received an urgent transmission from Lothal. During their absence, rebels had managed to break into Governor Pryce's office and free Captain Syndulla.

The worst part, however, was that during her failed attempt to recapture the rebels, Pryce had completely destroyed the imperial fuel depot. The explosion had resulted in the death of the Jedi Kanan Jarrus, but at the cost of shutting down the whole factory. Therefore, the entire TIE Defender project was halted and very probably compromised.

Because of this, the Chimaera was already on its way back. The Grand Admiral had decided that it was time to put a definitive end to their rebellion. They still had a few hours of travel ahead of them before reaching the planet.

(Y/N) was laying down in her cabin, trying to get some rest after the ordeal the whole crew had just endured. Thrawn was busy speaking with Emperor Palpatine, but he had promised he would come to see her after he was done.

When he finally arrived at her door, the young woman grabbed him roughly and pulled him inside. He didn't resist, neither did he try to stop her from pushing him against the wall.

"Do you realize what you just put me through?" she asked him before burying her face in his chest.

"I understand that it must have been stressful for you, but it was the only way for my plan to work." he replied softly, caressing her back and trying to calm her nerves.

"I know, and it was brilliant, but still! If something had gone wrong, we could have all been killed, or you." she explained with a pinch of anguish in her voice.

"I'm sorry, my love. I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't confident in our success. It's over now." he said, tilting her head up before finding her pouting lips.

She finally let Thrawn move away from the wall and they laid down on her bed to cuddle. He was still in uniform, but she was only wearing her blacks which highlighted her belly. For a moment, she let him rest his hand on her abdomen and feel the small being moving lightly, lost in her thoughts.

"I've been doing a lot of thinking lately." (Y/N) said with a sad voice. "We've been lucky until now that nobody noticed anything, but I'll have to leave eventually if we don't want the rest of the crew to know."

"I agree. I don't appreciate the thought of us being separated, but it's the logical course of action." he admitted.

"I guess I could probably be sent back to Naboo, maybe as a recruiter or a liaison officer. That way, I wouldn't be alone and my parents could help me take care of our child." the young woman suggested.

"Did you inform them about us? And our situation?" he asked his companion, probably already aware that she didn't.

"Not yet. I didn't tell anyone, actually, not even my friend. I didn't want to risk it getting revealed accidentally and affecting our careers."

"I see. We should start making the necessary arrangements once we'll have dealt with the rebels. The sooner we begin the paperwork and organize your transfer, the better our chances of it being approved before anyone notices." Thrawn reasoned.

"I'll speak with my family too." she then said with a downcast tone.

He noticed her emotion right away and held her closer, trying to make her feel better. His red eyes stared back into hers, their familiar soft glow bringing her some comfort.

"(Y/N), we still have time together before that happens. We simply need to be realistic for your own well-being and our child's. You'll be safer back on your homeworld than working on a warship." the Chiss reassured her.