Chapter 16

"Alert all commands. Deploy the fleet in defensive formation and launch the fighters." Grand Admiral Thrawn ordered the communications officer. He then turned to Commander Skerris, his best TIE fighter pilot, and added: "Commander, the rebels must not reach the planet's surface."

"I'll make sure of it, sir." he replied.

All stations aboard the Chimaera were quickly ready for combat, the crew pit bustling with activity. (Y/N) tried to focus on the bigger picture, reminding herself that the rebels were the real threat trying to weaken the Empire. However, she couldn't resist and prayed the universe that the battle about to unfold wouldn't become another massacre. She still remembered the heavy losses both sides endured back at Atollon, including the whole crew of the two Interdictors that had exploded. These alone amounted to more than 5000 deaths.

"TIE squadrons launched, the rest of the fleet is relaying the order." (Y/N) declared looking at her scanners.

"Twenty-four enemy ships confirmed on the scanners. They're breaking into formation." Commander Hammerly countered.

Thrawn was looking attentively out the viewport, watching the fighters dance around in the silent void of space. The green lights of their lasers soon began to illuminate their surroundings as the ships flew past the Star Destroyers, trying to breach the massive blockade above Lothal.

"Commander Skerris and his wingmen have engaged in the battle. One of our fleet's squadrons has been disabled." (Y/N) said again.

She was now completely focused on her task, years of experience taking over her. She watched the battle unfold on her console, not unlike Thrawn was doing from the viewport. The young woman was analysing trajectories, noting every change in the data she was was receiving from their pilots and the other imperial ships.

"The enemy is taking losses, at least six ships down." one of her colleagues said.

"Commander Skerris lost his squadron but we have a confirmed sighting of Captain Syndulla. He's going after her!" (Y/N) exclaimed not long after.

On the bridge's front deck, the Grand Admiral was receiving a call from Governor Pryce. She was inquiring about the rebel attack and the imminent danger for the imperial factory down in the capital. He dismissed her worries by assuring her that not a single rebel ship would be allowed past their blockade.

"X-wing on attack vector." one of the officers up on the walkway suddenly warned.

"Skerris, break off your pursuit." Thrawn ordered the pilot.

Commander Skerris denied his command. The Chiss kept his cool and simply answered with an unphased tone:

"How unfortunate. Open fire."

(Y/N)'s brows raised upon hearing the order. Was he really going to shoot at his own pilot? Another officer contested the Admiral, also worrying about hitting him accidentally. With a glacial and insistent voice, Thrawn ordered to open fire once more.

"Both Syndulla and Skerris were hit. Their shields have been disabled." (Y/N) then said bitterly.

"Rebel ship is changing vectors. The top of our bridge tower has been it!" Commander Hammerly exclaimed as the whole crew felt the impact's tremor.

"Commander Skerris has crashed in one of our light cruisers!" (Y/N) suddenly added with surprise and a thinly veiled anger.

The smaller cruiser now disabled, it drifted downwards and crashed into one of the fleet's Star Destroyers. Its bridge tower completely collapsed on the lower levels, causing many explosions and creating an opening in their defense.

"Rebel fighters are forming up and heading for the opening. I count ten remaining ships on my radar" Commander Hammerly informed the officers on the walkway.

The officer relayed the information to Thrawn, who dispatched the second wave of TIE fighters waiting on the surface.

It took mere minutes for their overwhelming force to take down all the rebel fighters that had managed to reach Lothal. They crashed around Capital City before any one of them could hit Governor Pryce's factory.

°°°°°°°

After the end of the battle, Admiral Thrawn retreated to his office. Commodore Faro was busy assessing the damages the Chimaera and the crew had suffered. Although the antennas were damaged by the explosion up on the tower, the repairs that would have to be made were not very extensive. The deflector shields had diffused most of the blast's energy. The death of yet another ship's crew, along with a few of their pilots and Commander Skerris, was the most saddening part.

It was always difficult for (Y/N) to witness the losses first hand. Working silently at her station alongside Commander Hammerly, she was compiling the data from her console and putting it in her usual report, trying to remind herself that every single one of her colleagues were aware of the risks they were putting themselves in when they enlisted.

Even if they weren't involved in the search for the surviving rebel pilots on the surface, officers from Lothal regularly updated Commodore Faro on the situation. The communications officer relayed his last transmission and the lieutenant eavesdropped on the short exchange between the two.

"Rukh and Governor Pryce finally apprehended their leader, Captain Syndulla, along with another few pilots." he said.

"Good. Go to the Admiral and notify him. I'm sure he'll be interested in personally interrogating her in the morning." the Commodore replied.

She typed a note on her datapad and then went back to the orders she was sending. Knowing how thorough she was, (Y/N) guessed she was already coordinating the maintenance crew to get on with the repairs. It was a careful move, especially considering that they never really knew what their next assignment would be or how long they were staying at one place.

When she was finished with her duties on the bridge, she decided to stop by Thrawn's office and then head back to her own cabin for the night. When she arrived, she knocked on the door and he let her in.

"I was just stopping by to say goodnight." she explained when he stood up from his chair.

He walked up to her and took the time to give her a long and comforting kiss. She rested her head on his chest for a moment while they hugged.

"Sleep well, my love. I still have a lot of work to do tonight and tomorrow I'll fly to the imperial headquarters to interrogate Captain Syndulla. I expect we'll be able to have some time together later in the evening." he told her.

"Thank you. See you then." she answered with a smile.

She kissed him goodbye and let him return to his work. She then walked back to her own quarters and jumped in bed after a long relaxing shower. The small movements she had begun to feel in her stomach reminded her that she wasn't really alone and the thought helped her fall asleep more easily.