Chapter 12

After failing to defeat the rebel fleet on Atollon, the Chimaera had headed back to Coruscant. Grand Admiral Thrawn had to report the details of the battle to Emperor Palpatine in person.

When he returned, the crew was surprised to learn they would be heading to the Trion sector in the Outer Rim Territories to investigate a "disturbance in the Force" with none other than Darth Vader himself. The arrangement seemed to be mutually unappreciated. (Y/N) and her crewmates often heard Vader bickering at every order their Admiral gave them. He also took it at heart to question his abilities and loyalty at every occasion that presented itself. Nonetheless, Thrawn kept his cool at all times, like he always did. The Lieutenant was more and more impressed by his talent for controlling and hiding his emotions in front of his crew. He was completely different on the bridge than he was with her in private.

She was heading for the Admiral's private quarters thinking about the whole situation. They both finally had some free time, so he had invited her over to spend the evening with him. She had decided to bring along some of her drawing supplies. He didn't know about it, but she figured it would be a fun way to make him repay her for the painting he had kept. She was curious to see if he was only good at analyzing art or if he had some hidden talent too.

Thrawn had left his door unlocked for her so she pressed the button and entered his cabin. The young woman was instantly impressed. The room was definitely more spacious than hers. There were a few artworks here and there and she noticed her piece in one of the corners. He had put it in a minimalist frame and a small ultraviolet light was subtly illuminating it, giving the bioluminescent ink the most vibrant hues she had seen yet. She strolled around and admired the other pieces for a moment before shifting her attention back to the silent blue figure sitting at the farthest corner of the large cabin.

The Admiral was quietly reading on his datapad and seemed completely focused, even though she knew he was just waiting for her to be done with her small tour. He leisurely put it beside him along with his almost empty glass of liquor and looked up at her.

"I see you have some plans for tonight." he said referring to the supplies she was holding.

"I figured it could be fun." she answered with a smile. "I'll put them down over there" she added before turning around.

(Y/N) set up her stuff on the ground while he walked back to fill up his glass. He offered her one but she declined.

"I don't really like hard liquor, thank you. I didn't know you drank, though. I thought you were too serious for that sort of thing." she teased him.

"Rarely. I do enjoy a good glass of wine or liquor every now and then, but I need to keep my mind clear."

"Because of your responsibilities." she guessed.

The young woman took a moment to look at him. She admired his discipline, but at that particular moment she felt like she was looking at a bird stuck in a cage. He restrained himself so much due to his work, almost like he put the fate of the whole galaxy on his shoulders. She promised herself that she would try to make him loosen up a bit tonight.

She sat down on the floor and began taking off her boots. He raised a brow and gave her a curious look.

"What are you doing?" he asked her.

"Getting comfortable." she simply answered with a smile. "Come, sit down!" she motioned to him.

She tossed her boots aside and crossed her legs. She then took off her command cap and untied her bun to let her hair loose. He was looking at her with a side smile, still standing up. She stared into his red irises with an air of defiance, then unbuttoned her grey tunic without breaking eye contact. She put it next to her boots with her cap and was left in her white undershirt and grey pants. Thrawn slowly took a sip of his drink and finally sat down with her.