Begin

The street was quiet with the exception of a few elderly passersby as they started their day. There weren't many cars either. A sign that maybe the majority of the residents here were as old as the people she'd seen before, as most elderly use public transportation. Juna never knew there could be such a place in Seoul. Although the quiet was usually kind to her nerves, there was something slightly eerie about the emptiness. Not to mention the address that Myung Hee sent her.

The outsider checked her phone again and looked back at a gate reflecting the same address. Some properties had walls, some didn't. This property had one with an odd, outdated style. Bland colors and tacky textures. There were trees that peaked over the walls, their vines growing down to the side walk. There was a slight view of a wavy rooftop that looked to belong to a traditional styled home. The place didn't seem to be well looked after—what with the undisciplined greenery.

"Is this a joke?" She scoffed. "How can this be it?"

For a while, she stood with her hand raked through her hair. What if someone got a hold of Myung Hee's phone and told her to come to this place? A sharp breath cut through her nervous smile. You're overreacting, stupid girl. How would a random person know to call this an orientation? After taking a deep breath, she walked forward and punched in the code that was included in the message. The modern security system was a striking contradiction to the property's presentation. A green indicator light flashed. The gate opened at the sound of a beep.

Juna walked deeper into the property along a walkway of uneven stepping stones. The building was as she suspected, old—in both age and style. It seemed to resemble the shape of a 'J'. At the center of the 'J' was naught but dirt and rocks that bordered its perimeter. Patches of weeds seemed to have sprung up in random places. One section of the building turned out to be two stories. She passed an outdoor faucet that continuously dripped into an overflowing bucket, moss growing on its side. Juna's damp hands slid into her jean pockets as she hesitated in the center. Her thumb nail digging into her finger. There were two entrances but she didn't rush towards them just yet.

"Maybe I should call her first." The cautious woman began dialing.

"You can come through here."

Juna's head whipped back up to the sound of her godmother's voice. A sigh of relief. She went over to greet her, removed her shoes and followed her in. When she did, she could barely believe she was in the same building she'd seen from outside. "Wow...it's..."

"Very different from the outside?" Myung Hee kept a reserved demeanor, which was unusual for Juna. The middle aged woman was always a perfect mix of a bubbly friend and a mother. There had to be a reason. "I had the inside renovated after I bought it."

"You live here?" Juna asked, observing the minimal but modern and spacious interior. Myung Hee nodded. "It was so easy to suspect it was abandoned."

"It was important to keep the exterior as it was so as to avoid attention." She gestured for her to sit down. Three elegant gray sofas formed a 'U' in the living room area. The two women sat across from each other. A glass coffee table at both their knees. "You see, the band members, though they have their own living situations, sometimes run into complications that call for a plan B location. This house is that location. You'll be its caretaker until I come back. Will making a stop here every now and again be a problem? Do you have a car?"

Juna shook her head. Their apartment building only allowed them one stall. Min Joo was the first one to have a car. Her best friend offered to take her to work all the time, but Juna didn't want to be a burden. So she took the bus most of the time.

"Hmm. You can use my car then." Juna wanted to refuse but before she had a chance to decline, "It's your job to be as thorough and reliable as possible. I recommended you because I believe you have those qualities. If I hear you're lacking because you missed a bus, that will reflect poorly on me. You'll use my car." She repeated firmly. The younger woman reluctantly submitted. "Now, on to your main responsibilities. I prepared a packet for you to study."