Chapter Three

It was never the killing that got to him. It was never the pain. It wasn't even the cries of the wounded for their brothers. The clones had no mothers, so they called to what family they had. Jedi Guria Hrast was the most stuck by the clones unwavering loyalty to each other and to the Jedi. Watching those five men come screaming like berserk and insane animals out of the gunships made Guria pause slightly. "They don't care if they live or die. They just want their brothers out of danger." Guria understood. Their general, General Garst, tried to evac him hours ago. But Guria refused to leave his men behind. It may have been a mistake but he didn't care. EVERYONE was getting out. His lightsaber was a green blur of sound an motion as he stood over and injured clone who was trying to drag himself away and to cover. The AT-TE walking over a hill and blasting thirteen super battle droids at once was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. The leader of this daring rescue mission sprinted over to him. "SIR! Captain Cuir here to take your shebs off home. Hope you weren't having too much fun."

"No, Captain please. Can't I stay just a bit longer? Pleeeeease?" He flashed a quick smile to the man and turned his attention to the injured trooper who had managed to crawl behind a destroyed vulture Droid. "What do you think, Jeks? Ready to end the party and go home?"

"But General, we've only just arrived!" Guria chuckled at that. He started directing men into what he called an aggressive reteat: continue to fire at the enemy while evacuating into the gunships. The AT-TE was priceless in helping them. It had already destroyed half of the remaining Separatist forces. Soon, Guria realized that they were actually winning this battle. Before he knew it, they had. Those men who came when no one else could were to be commended.

After the battle, more forces soon arrived and set about treating the wounded. Guria had lost over half his force. He saw the gutsy team talking to Jeks, no doubt grimacing at one of his horrendous knock knock jokes. He walked over and heard Jeks latest atrocity: knock knock

Who's there?

Who is

Who is who?

Dunno we all look alike.

Guria actually laughed at that one. Eveyone piled into the gunships. They were the last to leave. He was entering the last gunship when he extended his hand to the fearsome Captain. But time seemed to slow. He saw Jeks start to scream silently. Jeks grabbed at a pistol but it was too late. Jeks: his best friend. His trusted ally, had to watch. Guria felt the laser tear through his back and watched it impact the dirt in front of him. Jeks screamed, but it was muffled, distant. "Jeks. . . I'm so sorry. . . It's too late. . ." Guria fell numbly into the Gunship as Jeks emptied the pistol into the head of the partial Droid that fired the fatal shot. Everything was still in slow motion. He saw the Captain reach for him and grab his tunic. He felt him pull him into the Gunship and felt it take off. But it all felt like it wasn't even real. It felt soft and. . . Warm? Shouldn't he be cold? Cuir cradled Guria's head in his lap, screaming for Buir to get his shebs over with the Med kit. Guria put his hand on his lightsaber and handed it to the Captain. "Th-thank. . . Y-you. Take. . . Care of. . . It for me." Guria closed his eyes and saw. Saw all the men he'd lost. Saw them not as clones, but as brothers. And he embraced them all.