0.23 8th grade grind train

a/n this chapter will be filled with flashbacks! these asterisks ** and the italics will indicate the beginning and the end of the flashback. thanks for reading!

mikaela smalls--two weeks later

"mika, you can barely even tell... you look so good!" jules reassured me as i kept staring at my arm in the mirror. i reached up with my left hand to touch where the bullet grazed my right arm. it left quite a deep cut, and at first i thought that a shard of glass was what did it, but doctors found gun power inside of the wound.

i was lucky that the bullet missed any bones or major arteries, and i never needed a sling so i could actually dress up for the winter formal. i settled for a bubble gum pink dior set throwing a matching fur jacket on top. the bucket hat was my favorite part of the set, it felt like more of my style.

i was happy to be back in highland, it felt good to be back. but it felt different. for obvious reasons, according to street culture i could literally qualify for a teardrop tattoo now. i look around at these people who i built relationships with and i'm just reminded that we live very different lives.

not only are they younger than me, but even when i was their age i experienced things they will probably never have to in their life.

so while i try to remind myself of how good it felt to be here with these people before i went to atlanta, i couldn't stop thinking about shai. and ashtray. and carter. and of course fezco. and how now everything is just completely different. will things ever feel normal again?

** atlanta, georgia

"it's over..." fez rubbed my shoulder in the backseat of the dark grey tahoe we rented out. we switched everything after we realized shai was a snitch. our safe house, the car, even all of our phones.

we were on the way back to the safe house for the night, and then in the morning we finally get to go back home, to highland.

carter and fez had me and ashtray wait in the car while they went and finished out the job with mouse. i insisted that we came, not being able to be too far away from either of them without a panic attack beginning to ensue.

"i know." i finally breathed out, burying myself even further into his neck. i felt dizzy from his warmth, from the feeling that all this shit with mouse was finally over.

i could feel him touch my cheek, then pull back slightly. i looked down to see blood on his hands, and he looked at me apologetically as he used his sleeve to remove it from my face.

in this moment... i didn't care about anything but the fact that the most important people to me were all within arms reach. alive, breathing, healthy, nor actively bleeding. we could all finally take a fucking second to brea--