0.1 pre-highland

mikaela smalls - february 16, 2020

"listen if jarvis don't stop playin' with you jus' let me know, 'aight? i'll handle it." mykia said, smirking and looking in jarvis' direction. she really just don't know how i work. i care about none of these lil' girls in here. l'm only in here til' my brother gets everything sorted out and then i'm gone. not like i've never been here before, dealing with the same bullshit.

it's been 2 weeks since i landed here. i've been to fulton county a few times. Each time is a little different yet nothing ever changes around this bitch. i just keep my head low, eat, read, bathe, sleep, and repeat. every day for two weeks, until this ugly bitch Jarvis started trying to take my food and shit while I got my head turned toward the tv. mykia saw it and called her big ass out, and all this ugly hoe said was "she ain acting like she bout to eat it" and stormed off.

honestly, i don't care about the petty shit. people can think what they want, do what they want. as long as i don't feel truly disrespected we straight. i'm not the type to really get easily upset though, i don't like feeling like people got some type of easy hold on me. niggas ain't living in this head rent-free, no sir. so i chill. bide my time. read. a lil' ass part of me likes isolation so honestly, i'm not minding this shit much. except when i crave crab legs. then i call my brother and see where we at in progress. it shouldn't be more than a few days, i'm only here this long because i ain't open my mouth when them crackas said too.

i really don't get in trouble much, even though it might sound like that. i'm not in no gang, me and my brothers used to work regular jobs with regular pay stubs. payin' taxes and shit. until my brothers got felonies and shit, making them turn to the streets. every once in a while some shit go down and i'm usually the one that can finesse my way around it, even with a 'lil bit of jail time. i've never had a charge stick, maybe it's cause i'm pretty, maybe it's cause i'm young... either way a bitch ain't complaining, OK.

when i first got here, i saw hella different people in booking. for some reason, i felt like i sat in there forever while so many people went through. i like watching mfs though so i didn't even mind. like i said, not letting little shit bother me is like top of my list at all times. anyways, back to my point. i saw a lot of mfs. ugly. handsome. pretty. drunk. cracked out. slutted out. but it was one mf that caught my eye. it surprised me, to be honest. what mf in a booking cell gon' catch my boujie ass eye? it was just a 'lil glance. but we held it, he smirked. i smirked. yall know what i'm talking about. but that was it. just a moment, and then i ain't seen him since. even when I see other dudes from other blocks, he ain't never one of them.

not like i'm really looking. but be somewhere two weeks and you start missing some shit.

"mikki i know yo ass been listening to me this whole time cause if i just wasted my damn breath girl..." mykia rolled her eyes, suckin' on her teeth at the same time. i laughed and sat up in the bed. "girl don't you get tired of talking all damn day. like hush up!" i waved her off, making her laugh out of the room. she don't never shut up. but she mean well, and she willing to fight a bitch for me so why not let her? i laughed to myself, sliding my 'lil rubber shoes on and going to join the crowd in the day room.

--the next day.

when the sun hit my face i could feel adrenaline hit my veins almost right away. you never realize how much you need it 'til yo' ass is deprived of it. that goes for a lot of things.

i sat down in the grass, wanting to feel something up under me other than concrete. i leaned up against the fence and opened my book, reading from where i last left off. the sun glistening off the grass caught my eye so i stopped reading for a minute to admire it. in jail, it's the little shit that you gotta appreciate so you don't go crazy in a 5x5 concrete box with another bitch who probably don't shower like she should. this far out in the yard it almost doesn't smell like B-O and trash from the dumpsters around the corner.

just as i was about to get back to my book i felt someone lean against the other side of the fence that i was sitting on. i turned around slightly, not wanting to get up. it was a guy facing away from me with a haircut that you could tell was a few days grown out. it took me a minute but after i saw a lil bit of his orange facial hair i recognized that it was dude from booking. i smirked and turned back around, waiting for him to make whatever move he thought was gonna work.

i tried to go back to reading, but was distracted because dude literally wasn't moving or saying anything. like... okay? i cleared my throat which made him chuckle. it's almost like i could feel it on my back since we were sitting back to back with just a chainlink fence in between us. he sat up so that i couldn't feel his weight against the fence anymore. i tried not to turn around and see if he walked away but my curious ass peaked around my shoulder anyways. he was still sitting on the grass he was just facing me now, wearing a smirk on his freckle littered face. i slouched back forward, laughing lightly before turning my body to be facing him as well.

his eyes were a pretty bright ass blue, and they were almost hard not to focus on. "why yo pretty ass here in fulton county?" He spoke, his voice a little raspy. cute. i lightly laughed, knowing i wasn't bout to tell this nigga why i'm really here. "little this, little that. you know." i waved it off, earning a nod from him. his smirk never leaving his lips as the guards started calling us to go back in. i got up, brushing off any dirt that may have stuck on my clothes, tucking my book under my arm.

he looked like he was about to say something until he started backing away, a laugh escaping from him. he shook his head and broke eye contact to simply walk back into his block. lil white boy cute as hell.

1175 word count unedited